Aurotzel

Season 5 talk(Spoilers obviously)

56 posts in this topic

Probably too deep for a one-off. ;)

Personally I thought Rarity was a good choice for the role, for a few reasons. The superficial reason is simply that the role -did- demand multiple ponified 40's outfits to really work, and well that's Rarity's department. Second is that attention to detail seems to come with the territory of being obsessed with aesthetics, though Twilight could've also filled this one. Finally, since the role is usually filled by an aged, tired, and gritty male (which has no direct distaff counterpart), Rarity's Mid-Atlantic accent gave her probably the most suitable voice to narrate ~18 minutes of noir parody. It would be tough to listen to any of the others hold an episode on their shoulders with such narration.

Oh, and Turnabout Storm. That is all.

1 person likes this

Has anyone happened to notice that last weeks episode, this week, and next weeks all have Rarity involved? Any idea why that might be?

I'd guess it's a mix of BUY OUR TOYS, and the fact that the writers haven't really done a good job of painting Rarity in a positive light, except in one or two episodes. These last two episodes have really bucked that trend. But that's just my cynical opinion.

Huh, third episode with Rarity as an MC in a row... Hasbro trying to make up for the lack of Rarity in the last seasons, I suppose?

Anyway, this was a fun episode. There's wan't any real pressure or conflict or climax, just a nice, easy and enjoyable episode... wich led to one of the best morals of the series so far, in my opinion: "simplicity".

It was both suprising and heartwarming to see the show start. On one hand, it was surprising because I was still waiting for the "real" conflict to pop up, thinking this whole summer revival was just a set-up, while one the other hand... it also was heartwarming, because the summer revival was what this episode was about. No conflicts, no villains, no arguments, no fights, no unexpected characters appearing to cause some problem or another, no... something. Just... a pony trying to make her community more friendly, with 2 friends helping her making just that happen.

Guess the "simplicity" goes in both ways then, both in-episode (Rarity and Applejack creating something much smaller than they planned to) as well as out-episode (the episode having a much bigger slice-of-life-feel to it than usual)...

As for a few other thoughts:

-I was so relieved to see the credits... it's been bugging me most of the episode to hear Coco talk: I knew I heard her somewhere before, but just couldn't put my finger on it... now knowing she also voices Spike, I feel at rest now.

-Been some time since we got a Rarijack episode.

-Twilight, if you're that bored, and just want to go to Manehatten... then go to Manehatten, it's not like the map is prohibiting you from going. Wich... brings me to my next thought:

-Just what the hell is up with that map? I'm pretty sure the mane6 believe it to be a sentient thing, what with them constantly pondering why the map send them somewhere.

Calling it now, the map is part of some bigger magical field enveloping all of Equestria or even beyond, wich is sentient and tries to keep peace, in part by using the mane6.

Edited by Koekelbag

Twily's a princess. She should just go wherever she wants even if the map doesn't call anyone.

AJ's reaction to Rarity's callback to Rarity Takes Manehattan is great. 

Oh hey, Charlie Brown pone. Rarity kind of ruined it with her "Good grief" right after he passed.

Coco's grown so much since she was just an underling last time we saw her. I saw her more as a support type rather than a major mover and doer.

Newspony is cute. I wish we could see more ponies with outfits like his and more elaborate manes like his. I almost want to give Steamworks there a similar mane.

I love that background music while AJ's cleaning up the park. I wish more of the BG music stood out like that these days. 

On a side note, AJ just digging in and trying to power through everything is a lot like how I feel these days. Lots of stuff is piling up on top of me lately, and I don't have much choice put to plow through it.

Why did they beat up on AJ's hat so much? At least we now know it's not  a treasured gift from her parents like some people portray it.

You'd think AJ would be far more into the whole community aspect of it. She's big into family, and community is kind of the family you choose rather than the family you're given.

Edited by Steamworks

I'm hoping Orchard Blossom makes a return. Mac's drag persona is great. 

That bit at the end with Apple Bloom and Big Mac is great. We got to see the normally stoic workhorse open up and be vulnerable for a minute. From the way he was talking, he's really not okay with his lot in life, and I think he really needs someone to at least vent to. I get the impression he hides behind a stoic facade and just does what a stallion's gotta do while trying to be happy with just that. I really want to see what his hopes and dreams are (aside from being an alicorn princess).

It was a bit awkward to watch. I get the concept of drag and all, but about 30 seconds into the skit, all I was thinking of was "where IS Big Mac getting this archetype from, in-universe?" The fact his drag persona was juxtaposed by everyone else in the episode (and again, probably the entire planet) didn't help me answer that question.

Awkward, but still funny. :P

I just assume Equestria has similar cultural ideas to our world.

As far as I'm concerned, the best part of the episode was the bit at the end. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and/or putting too much of myself into it, but I get Mac's frustrations and motivations, and I very much sympathize with his frustrations and difficulty in opening up and communicating. It's another case of the show hitting close to home.

It was touching, but I guess it only really works if you come from a fairly tight-knit family. Unfortunately, mine can't really be described that way.

I don't think you need a close-knit family for it to really work. Part of the root of the problem is that Mac is, well, a workhorse. He's reliable. He's dependable. He's always getting work done. He does what needs to be done without complaint. People like that are frequently unappreciated since they're always there and just sort of taken for granted. While Mac mentions AJ running off to save Equestria, I suspect his frustration with this has been brewing for a good long while. AJ's simply more attention grabbing than Mac, so I think it's an issue dating back to whenever AJ started becoming the "face" of Sweet Apple Acres. Prior to that, he probably was a hero in his entire family's eyes due to picking up all the slack after his parents died (He's already wearing that yoke in the flashback to when AJ got her cutie mark. I'm pretty sure he had to grow up real fast and take over a lot of the farm work since AJ was too young and Granny Smith was too old to pick up the slack). The feeling of being unappreciated was likely made worse by having long hours out in the fields alone while his thoughts and feelings stew in his brain. Given his discomfort about exposing his feelings in that scene, I also suspect he, like a lot of other men, doesn't want to talk about this stuff because he thinks it's weakness, and he doesn't have the luxury of being weak since everyone on the farm depends on him.

Wow, that got a little more rambly than intended. I kinda wish I could words better about this. TL;DR is that family was only part of the issue with the rest of the issue being his feeling of his work and everything he does being unappreciated.

1 person likes this

This episode...

This... frigging... episode...

The faces!
The songs!
Diamond Tiara (and Silver Spoon and Pipsquak and the pony with super strenght and all the other foals)!

And, last but not least... *drumroll* wait for it ...

TheCutieMarkCrusadeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!

I thought my mlp-life was complete when I saw Midnight Sparkle.

Then I was proven wrong with the Mac episode, especially with that heart wrenching moment at the end.

And now this? A frigging Diamond Tiara redemption and Cutie Mark Crusaders Cutiemarks?

Show's over folks, mlp reached the pinnacle of what it can do (I hope not). None of the following episodes can best this one (I hope not too). Heck, not even the alluded time-loop is going to be as awesome as this episode was (I... certainly hope not).

A few other thoughts:
-Applejack's/Applebloom's/Mac's parents confirmed dead with the "If mom and dead were here, they'd be so proud of ya" line? Or... a hint that they will come up in possible episodes?
-Super strenght pony literally made me spit out my drink, new best pony.
-CMC actually getting their marks made me spit even more.
-Did I mention all the character building yet?
-I'm crying right now.
-Wonder why Fleur de Lis and Fancy Pants were in Ponyville.
-Cheerilee looked tired of Diamond's shit in the beginning
-CMC confirmed Pinkie-teleport abilities during the cmc-Diamond Tiara-song... or, considering Pipsquak also arrived before them at the schoolhouse, Diamond is just a bad runner?
-Derpy! In mailmare costume!
-Luna too!
-Inb4 future CMC-episodes revolving about helping still-blankflanks... Like Button.
-This episooooooooooooooodeeeeeee

Edited by Koekelbag
1 person likes this

Oh hey, Sweetie's come far enough with her magic to pick up ponies. Also nice to get more Pipsqueak. Maybe we can get enough to have some canon personality for him.

Button got a line in the song. Awesome.

Diamond Tiara finally got her comeuppance. Silver Spoon delivering it was just the icing on the cake.

DT's mom is a cunt. Getting her comeuppance was pretty sweet, too.

And the CMC have their marks. Will they keep their group name since they're now crusading for others' marks?

Don't cry, Mac. I'll have to if you cry. 

I wonder how much all this identity stuff this season is registering with the target demographic. It should resonate with the brony crowd, especially the whole thing with Diamond Tiara and her mark and figuring out her actual purpose. A lot of young people struggle with figuring out who they really are.

Eh...button didn't really get a line. He was just merged into the male side of the chorus. (which sounds like adult men, oddly enough :p )

I still maintain that he'll never get a VA for the same reason Vinyl won't -- fans too much associate the fan VA with the character.

It's nice to see more status quo changing happening(ish). Of course, these writers are smart enough to know that it needs to change on a regular basis for the show to stay fresh.

More Shining. This is good.

Pinkie's torture is delicious. Any other pony would have normal reactions. She also keeps looking at the Back to the Future bug.

Baby carrots? Big, strong captain of the guard favors baby carrots?

The music for the delivering cakes without interacting with anypony scene was way too perfect. It added just the right amount of whimsy to it.

What the fuck, Mayor Mare? Do you suspect Pinkie of harboring secrets against the state?

Cadance isn't showing yet.

Oh, Shining, you're a nerd and a dork at heart. You're never more cute than when that side of you is showing. https://derpiboo.ru/1004379 Oh how I'd steal you from Cadance in an instant if I had the chance.

For a brief moment, I had flashbacks to that awful G3 scavenger hunt ad episode.

This was an... interesting episode:

-Twilight and Spike's moment was cute.

-Applejack was looking all around her for Pinkie's extra hooves when they met Maud. Easy to miss, but I lolled. Also...Pinkie's extra hooves.

-Huh, amish ponies, who knew?

-That Marbleshypie, sure she isn't related to Fluttershy?

-Inb4 Holder's BoulderxBoulder fics (It was holder's boulder, right?)

-Huh, not only Maud eats rocks.

-Wonderful, Macble (working title) fics will probably dominate fimfiction for some days.

-Choosing stone, eh?

-Who else thought the flag was an actual rock?

-Funny how, when everyone went to sleep, all the Apples accepted the Pie's traditions... except for Aj, of course.

-On the topic of Aj, btw... how the frig did she get that pole all alone into a rock ground

-Apple horse screws up, of course.

-Dammit, that cave-scene made me tear up a bit.

-Wait, if Holder's Boulder was found in a dragon's nest... a petrified egg maybe?

Ehrm...

Holy... If that was an egg, just how big was its mother? O_o

Nightmare fuel indeed.

Leave it to a greedy dragon to get too eager for gifts.

McAllister pones on the train to the rock farm.

But we already know the story of the first Hearthswarming Eve. This telling left out the weaponized friendship burning the Windigoes alive.

Amish pones.

Limestone Pie just sounds like a bitch.

Marble Pie needs to hang with Fluttershy. Initial impression is that she makes Fluttershy look bold and confident.

So much rock obsession. How did Pinkie end up with a party obsession while growing up around all this rock?

We need to see the Choosing Stone.

A gift search does sound a little fun, at least once.

What might be nice as an eventual lesson (and very likely totally unrelated to this episode entirely) is that you have your family by blood and you have your family that you choose. If your blood family is shit, leave 'em in the dust and search for your happiness with the family you get to choose.

I just realized how close to cutie mark spoilage we came due to this episode's leak. If the CMC hadn't been in costume, it would have been very odd just seeing them with cutie marks.

This really would have worked better for like a S1 or early S2 Fluttershy. 

Fluttershy's real issue seems to be a fear of being afraid rather than anything else.

Her issues with being afraid of being judged negatively or being a disappointment to everyone hits close to home for me. I tend to have the same issue, and I die from embarrassment over the smallest of things. Social anxiety disorder sucks major donkey dong (and not in a way the donkey would like).

It's nice seeing Flutters overcome her fears and decide that it's still not her thing. Even cooler that her friends didn't badger her about it.

I can also relate to social anxiety, but in no way can I relate to the character. Mine comes from a different source, though...and it comes out as distancing and terseness rather than visible anxiousness.

Oh, and I totally rewatched the episode after the CMC one. Definitely dodge of a bullet there...having something like that spoiled would've killed whatever buzz it managed to produce.

Yours doesn't come from an "Oh god everyone everywhere is always judging me" place?

It used to, but everyone is judging everyone, be it subconscious or actively. You just have to grow numb to that fact.

Mine comes more from a "string of social failures" place. I've convinced myself that I can see the future and all the terrible ways that social connections have in the past (and thus will in the future) end, and so I keep everything on a business level.

I dunno. It's my understanding that most people don't actively judge and forget about it shortly thereafter. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've got all panicky just thinking about stuff like asking to see something in a case at a store or whatever (or even worse just trying to deal with a cashier period, I love the shit out of self-checkouts).

I dunno. It's my understanding that most people don't actively judge and forget about it shortly thereafter. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've got all panicky just thinking about stuff like asking to see something in a case at a store or whatever (or even worse just trying to deal with a cashier period, I love the shit out of self-checkouts).

On the bright side, nothing in a case at most grocery or convenience stores is worth getting.

Everyone judges, all the time. I'm not saying this to indicate paranoia or incite fear...few people truly do live in a bubbleverse where they truly forget the events of the previous day. They might not be able to recall it on command, but people will associate things once they see your face. It's much like the old adage says: You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Even online this extends to some degree. Being the hermit that I am, I'm more attuned to this kind of subconscious judging/storage behavior online. It comes in handy when I'm asked who is and isn't suitable for a mod position.

I guess the reason I'm comfortable with this now versus when I was starting out adulthood: No matter what image you craft for yourself, no matter how flawlessly you pull it off, there will be many people who just write you off on appearance and/or a few short sentences. So long as you're not a lost cause, you'll find people who get along with you.

My Spyderco Tenacious was in a case, albeit not at a grocery/convenience store, and very much worth purchasing. It just took me a half hour to work up the courage to ask for it. So was the near mint complete copy of Final Fantasy 1 that I scored for a mere $20.

But do you always assume the judgement is negative? That's what runs through my brain. Fluttershy's reactions to being in the spotlight back in Hurricane Fluttershy hit close to home. In particular, that one where everyone's looking at her and then it turns into a bunch of eyes while voices taunt her made me feel a bit panicky.

Edit:
While I know this isn't happening, my brain wants to assume that lots of insignificant things bring about major judgements, like asking what aisle the cereal on meaning they now think I'm about as intelligent as the average rock and must now never show my face in there again.

Edited by Steamworks

But do you always assume the judgement is negative?

I used to maybe 15 years ago. You never lose the basic elements of agoraphobia even though you need to suppress it to actually live your life. It's just now that outside of necessary work, I live alone and my hobbies (both indoor and outdoor) are all things that can be enjoyed in solitude.

While I know this isn't happening, my brain wants to assume that lots of insignificant things bring about major judgements, like asking what aisle the cereal on meaning they now think I'm about as intelligent as the average rock and must now never show my face in there again.

Maybe this would be a good time to practice compartmentalization. Store clerks are easy because frankly, they have no bearing on your life and you have no bearing on theirs. Once you realize your mutual insignificance to each other, it'll be much easier for you to interact with them over time and with practice. I've actually been that bad before...though my method is different than yours. Rather than shy away on location, I would plan my trips in advance and my "shy" period would be the time at home where I was delaying actually going anywhere.

Expand around this and you'll realize that most people you cross have as much interest in you as you have with them. With that much simplified, you can use any encounters you have outside (or with store clerks) as "practice" for the ones that matter, i.e. those which will lead to employment.

BTW, sorry for letting this thread get so off-topic. As a forum mod I guess it reflects badly upon me, heh. I won't be offended if someone ends up moving this to Help and Advice or somewhere else.