Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hazard Time

Building a new PC

9 posts in this topic

So, I've decided to build a new PC over the summer to replace my laptop.  I know jack about what makes hardware "good", so I would like to ask your help in finding the components I will need to build a gaming computer.  I've currently set a tentative budget at $750, but this may change if necessary.

Any techies able to help?

2 people like this

https://pcpartpicker.com/

^This is your new bestest friend from now on.

Take advantage when sales come about and study the frequency of them.

Know your motherboard, and make sure that the RAM sticks are ACTUALLY compatible for it.

And whatever you do, don't touch the gold things under your CPU chip and the pins that it goes over.

And be ready to send in a RMA the moment you suspect that an item has already malfunctioned when it comes through the door.  The sooner the better.

But that's just the basics that I know.  If you want to know anyone who has good knowledge on PC building, look no further than simple, Disowned & Damaged, and Devaru.  If neither of these people are online, yet Videogames380 is on, refer to him and he can also hook you up with a person who's also a wiz at building PCs.

Oh, and make sure that you actually have something to ground yourself in, because you'll feel like the evil Emperor once you feel a static shock on ANY part of your PC components.

As for software setup you're on your own.

Should you not heed these hints you'll end up doing this:

1 person likes this

My philosophies when I was building this three year old custom:

• SSD for games, HDD for windows. (even if you can only afford a 128 on your budget, it's so worth it not having huge load times)
  • CPU can be just about anything these days. 4 cores are still fine. CPUs have long since hit the Moore's limit and all you're really paying for is reduced power usage.
  • GPU is probably where you'll invest the most. On your budget, I'd set it to 40-50% of entire cost.
  • Value for parts would be graphed like a parabola, if you were to graph how much awesome you got per dollar. Low and end high end don't give you much awesome for the dollar, so seek out mid-end whenever possible.

Also:

• Power supplies and cases aren't exactly changing rapidly these days. You might save decent money by getting these used. (I didn't, but I had a bigger budget to work with) If your old ones are good, then hell...use them.
  • Since you're on a budget, I already mentioned skimping out on the CPU, PSU, and case...but cheap keyboard and mouse are also fine. (guessing you're not replacing these)
  • I went overboard with RAM but you can't. I think 16 gigs is at a good place on that parabola I mentioned nowadays, so try to shoot for that. Should last you throughout the PC's lifetime.
  • I'm guessing you can salvage parts from your old PC as well like DVD-ROM and such, so yay? Personally I see no value in getting a Blu-Ray drive but YMMV.

I know like nothing about motherboards, though. :P Just make sure it's compatible with both your old and new parts.

I would like to add my two-cents about building a computer. I build them often, as a hobby, so there are things I keep in mind when I build. It works for me.

- If possible, try to buy both an SSD and a HDD. By putting your Windows OS on your SSD and your files like games/anime/hentai on the HDD, you can cut your load times in half, and boot up your computer in seconds.

- You want to make sure that your CPU and GPU (usually) are around the same price range. This means you wanna get a CPU and GPU that are generally of the same power. If one is more powerful than the other, it could cause bottlenecking, which could be a problem when gaming.

- In regards to CPU and GPU, games almost always rely more on the GPU as opposed to the CPU. Only game I can think of currently that is CPU reliant is Planetside 2. Also, most games use dual-core - quad-core at most. Unless you're video editing or something of the sort, quad-core is the best option.

- Sites like PC Part Picker are great at offering a vast range of hardware, and it even lists the merchant that is selling that hardware at the cheapest price currently. Your friend's link offers a pretty good build for your price range.

- With Memory, I find that 8GB is usually more than enough for me. Anything higher is splurging - which isn't really a bad thing.

- In regards to compatibility issues in hardware, a lot of hardware these days are usually compatible with each other. However, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. In my opinion, I follow my purchases in this order:

Motherboard > CPU > RAM > Case > GPU > anything else.

The reason why the motherboard is imperative to purchase first, is because it determines what parts you will buy that will play nicely with the motherboard. For example:

A motherboard with a 1155 Chipset compatibility means that it will only accept CPUs that fall under the 1155 Chipset. When you make your purchase, the information will be displayed as to what parts will be acceptable for that motherboard, but if you have questions about this, feel free to ask me personally.

- Another thing to note - though not as much - is the size of the GPU. Sometimes you may get a GPU too large for the case, so make sure that the case that you get is large enough for your GPU. It doesn't happen often, but just be weary.

- On the topic of cases, you should find one with good airflow; to be specific, you want one with vents in several places. This makes sure that you have optimal locations for airflow and allows you to effectively plan out how you want the airflow to go.

That's all of the information I can give you now. I can give you more, but I think the above is enough for you. If you have any more questions though I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Edited by Rokon2

Some things to note:

Overclocking isn't a necessity on a custom rig. The CPU you have is a 4690K, the 'K' denotes an unlocked version which can have an increased voltage, therefore being able to increase clock speeds higher than a normal 4690. This isn't necessary, and you will only see improvements on specific tasks such as video transcoding and other intensive processing tasks. There can be FPS boosts, but you will mainly see them from a better GPU. Also note that the motherboard you have is a 'Z' series, which are also unlocked for overclocking, so that is correct, just letting you know why.

Invest in a good monitor. Over time having that bit of FPS boost is trivial compared to having a monitor that can have really great visuals, specifically an IPS monitor.

The build you have there is pretty good, I would do more research on alternative hardware, though. Finding the best price

takes a while, so look at Newegg combos, maybe a cheaper case such as the NZXT Source Steel, see if you can find a better CPU+Mobo combo that isn't OC. You may be able to find a natively better CPU because you can save a lot on not having a Z-series mobo.

Also yes, if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Edited by Disowned the Title Guy