30 posts in this topic

That hit detection video is absolutely wonderful.

You're right about this being how it feels to play VSP. Being hit at impossible distances and angles is annoying and even frustrating at times,and it's such a common thing here. ALWAYS expecting it helps a little to alleviate the issue, but it's still largely unavoidable.

I most often see this happen with players who have high ping. ESPECIALLY if their ping is over 200, but I've been hit at absurd distances by people who have as low as 50. And apparently, I have incredible range as well, and I'm close to Texas and have good internet(when it's behaving). I guess the legends were true. "Eyelander range" really does exist.

Of course, I don't ever see players with good connection hit people standing behind them. I do believe 360 degree attack coverage is exclusive to players with poor connections. So there's probably nothing to be done about that. Purely TF2's fault for choosing to believe that someone slightly behind the game's current events should be given precedence!

If every hale truly does have the eyelander's hit detection, could that possibly be changed? VSP would be a strange and wonderful place if the pony's arms were a little less long.

Ech, your choice of text is unpleasant to read, though. It's a little too... Bold :<

Edited by Kralthe
3 people like this

That hit detection video is absolutely wonderful.

You're right about this being how it feels to play VSP. Being hit at impossible distances and angles is annoying and even frustrating at times,and it's such a common thing here. ALWAYS expecting it helps a little to alleviate the issue, but it's still largely unavoidable.

I most often see this happen with players who have high ping. ESPECIALLY if their ping is over 200, but I've been hit at absurd distances by people who have as low as 50. And apparently, I have incredible range as well, and I'm close to Texas and have good internet(when it's behaving). I guess the legends were true. "Eyelander range" really does exist.

Of course, I don't ever see players with good connection hit people standing behind them. I do believe 360 degree attack coverage is exclusive to players with poor connections. So there's probably nothing to be done about that. Purely TF2's fault for choosing to believe that someone slightly behind the game's current events should be given precedence!

If every hale truly does have the eyelander's hit detection, could that possibly be changed? VSP would be a strange and wonderful place if the pony's arms were a little less long.

Ech, your choice of text is unpleasant to read, though. It's a little too... Bold :<

sorry for the text, ill fix it to be a little less bold, but i would agree with you, but i have also seen player that have 80 to 50 ping and still able to get "eyelander effect", that including that you use the ping command in console, which i find it really really REALLY dumb, because has of you i have live in texas, on which i am running about 75mbps, but even with that i have trouble connecting in time for the pre-rounds, and with that i can honestly and truly say that i can hit people with a hale that has the "EYELANDER RANGE" and sometime i hit people that i dont even know how i hit them

Edited by »Zba«☤☣Codenothing☣☤

Good ol Winglet Videos, always love them.

I do have the same instances from time to time again and i feel the frustration that comes from that. When you are at a decent ping then get hit from over a mile away from a super small range weapon, it really annoys you and we always blame the person's ping. 

Unfortunately, this "eyelander effect" is sometimes used so badly from certain players that know that they have a huge range to abuse. 

I do agree with Kralthe that if hales didn't have eyelander range, The server would be a strange place all of a sudden. with out having to be worried about being killed a mile away. 

Or we can all blame high ping and people being halfway around the world. Which is the most common answer to hit reg. xD

If I may... it goes both ways, you know?

As a high ping player myself (around 130-ish... wich people say is high) when playing the hale I often hear complaints from my recent kills about range. Now, to me they always seem legit (unless it's a demo boss), but apparently they see it different... eh, nothing I can do about.

Anyways, what I mean by both ways is that, for every "unfair" kill I get, there are usually 1 or 2 melee-swings from wich I hear the hitsound, yet get no damage. Yes, some kills shouldn't happen, but I think that's balanced out by amount of times when a merc should have died, yet had the hitreg in their favor.
So... sure, it's fine to be angry about range, but please, do consider the fact that with proper range you could have been killed a lot earlier.

Also, failstabbing as a spy isn't fun... but getting facestabbed as a hale isn't either. :/

Lastly... I hear people complaing about Demobosses a lot, but... whip-hales (wich, by theory, should have the biggest range) doesn't seem to garner that much rage... curious, no?

pumpkin farmwhich is a HORRIBLE MAP 

So much this.

Edited by Koekelbag

Just a reminder, hitreg is no different on this server as any other TF2 server, however some hales may have odd hitboxes, but any recent hales have had a lot of work put into them to be accurate. There are no crazy outliers that I am aware of that have obviously tiny or malformed boxes.

Lag is a two way process usually, if its because of network congestion like downloading another file they will have as much difficulty hitting you as you will hitting them. Even if its range based like Australia, you don't get any special perks with it, just that the long range player may be more used to compensating for it and therefore be better with it, because both of you have a long range to each other. Also the whole 'eyelander range' thing isn't really accurate. Having higher ping doesn't in reality give you longer range, they still have to be within range on their side.

The hitsounds you hear are most likely your client registering a hit, but the server checks it and doesn't align with both player positions and actions, again, another valve issue.

Another thing to note is that the hale doesn't have to appear to be looking directly at you for them to be looking at you on their screen, lag or not. So it can look like their body is positioned to your side, but in reality their eyes were on you.

lots of use of the word reality apparently.

Edited by Disowned the Title Guy
1 person likes this

If I may... it goes both ways, you know?

As a high ping player myself (around 130-ish... wich people say is high) when playing the hale I often hear complaints from my recent kills about range. Now, to me they always seem legit (unless it's a demo boss), but apparently they see it different... eh, nothing I can do about.

Anyways, what I mean by both ways is that, for every "unfair" kill I get, there are usually 1 or 2 melee-swings from wich I hear the hitsound, yet get no damage. Yes, some kills shouldn't happen, but I think that's balanced out by amount of times when a merc should have died, yet had the hitreg in their favor.

So... sure, it's fine to be angry about range, but please, do consider the fact that with proper range you could have been killed a lot earlier.

Also, failstabbing as a spy isn't fun... but getting facestabbed as a hale isn't either. :/

Lastly... I hear people complaing about Demobosses a lot, but... whip-hales (wich, by theory, should have the biggest range) doesn't seem to garner that much rage... curious, no?

pumpkin farmwhich is a HORRIBLE MAP 

So much this.

In a way i would agree with you, but in some cases i can not, it does not even out, low ping plays do not have the luxury of being able to get eyelander range other thin playing with a demoman weapon, and when we see hale they are 5 feet in front you see us as 1 foot in front, and the facestab, are not really facestab they are matador stab which some people know how to do allot, Eg lost in the mist, which he been practicing how to do it, for sometime now, which is a simple move, Right thin Left Thin Side stab.

Just a reminder, hitreg is no different on this server as any other TF2 server, however some hales may have odd hitboxes, but any recent hales have had a lot of work put into them to be accurate. There are no crazy outliers that I am aware of that have obviously tiny or malformed boxes.

Lag is a two way process usually, if its because of network congestion like downloading another file they will have as much difficulty hitting you as you will hitting them. Even if its range based like Australia, you don't get any special perks with it, just that the long range player may be more used to compensating for it and therefore be better with it, because both of you have a long range to each other. Also the whole 'eyelander range' thing isn't really accurate. Having higher ping doesn't in reality give you longer range, they still have to be within range on their side.

The hitsounds you hear are most likely your client registering a hit, but the server checks it and doesn't align with both player positions and actions, again, another valve issue.

Another thing to note is that the hale doesn't have to appear to be looking directly at you for them to be looking at you on their screen, lag or not. So it can look like their body is positioned to your side, but in reality their eyes were on you.

And i allot of people that been pubbing can tell you differently, i myself can tell you that there are allot of other server that there hitboxes are far more fair thin the server, and the perk that they get is the fact that they see us in front of them while we are 5 feet away from them, which also people would say that is true because there are people that would say that they saw us 1 foot in front of them while like i said we could be 5 feet away from them, and having high ping does give you longer extended range. 

and the facestab, are not really facestab they are matador stab which some people know how to do allot, Eg lost in the mist, which he been practicing how to do it, for sometime now, which is a simple move, Right thin Left Thin Side stab.

I was talking about the times when spies backstab me as a hale despite that fact that I was looking at them directly (since you should never ever turn your back to a spy you know is there), thus demonstrating that high ping goes both ways. Yes, for the spies they are probably legit matador-stabs, but for me, it was tuesday a facestab. :huh:

Apologies if this wasn't clear.

Edited by Koekelbag

and the facestab, are not really facestab they are matador stab which some people know how to do allot, Eg lost in the mist, which he been practicing how to do it, for sometime now, which is a simple move, Right thin Left Thin Side stab.

I was talking about the times when spies backstab me as a hale despite that fact that I was looking at them directly (since you should never ever turn your back to a spy you know is there), thus demonstrating that high ping goes both ways. Yes, for the spies they are probably legit matador-stabs, but for me, it was tuesday a facestab. :huh:

Apologies if this wasn't clear.

depending how you look at it, here are two video that will explain and hopefully help you out in the future 

Here is another reason why ppl have bad ping.. WHY THE HELL DO WE HAVE TWO TEXAS SERVERS!. One of those should be moved to the north east coast or something.I think it should be the funbox as that server is usually JAMPACKED with high ping players. Just why 2 Texas servers.. I can't play a single server without bad ping.. This kind of shit isn't fun and it's annoying. I completely understand how ZBA and Kralthe feel about the BS that happens on the servers.. Some examples are when i go to dmg the hale and beat them up and bit they run away.. hit at absolutely nothing and my shield breaks! Isn't that fantastic! This even happens when i run away from the hale or jump away and then "Oh well you got hit anyway even tho you were away or behind the hale.. oops." Im sorry to come off so bitchy but because of all the BS and having no good server with good ping this was nearly the reason i quit.. I love VSP. It is a ton of fun with plenty of nice people. But the BS about it is too glaring. Im really sorry if i came off sounding like an ass i really am but that's just how i feel.

Edited by Steel Crescent
2 people like this

Honestly, I would loooove to have a Jersey server again. Just for reference http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=469923111. Taoru living in Germany still gets a really nice ping on a Jersey server. Would be nice if EU players and US players could both get decent pings in the same server.

I 100000% agree with this... But we have to hope Simple and Raini here us out...

As a Consideration i would like to thank the people that put in there input of the matter, and as much as i wish i could do something, at last it is not based on my decision, yet based on the decision on people that would like to speak up, so i encourage people to speak up more.

In getting a different server other thin having two texas server preferably a fast download one i would also agree on that, which would also help out allot of people not just including the people that have the models, but the new comers that will join in the future, with that in mind, i would also like to encourage people to notified simple and raini if possibly of the matter, to get this in motion.

With that again i would like to thank the people for there input and for the people that agree. Please keep giving more opinions and more help if possible, thank you  

1 person likes this

Heh, as an Australian with a constant 200 ping I know the pain. Hit regs go out the window and when the hale and myself have high ping the range is a football field. I hardly play hale these days, only for the fun or to show off a hale's true power. I've learned to live with my high ping even if I may bitch about it from time to time.

I'd support the idea of moving the funbox to Jersey or something, variety is always nice.

1 person likes this

I actually support the idea of moving the normal Texas server to a Jersey server since some of our decent players are from the EU side, it'll lower their ping and actually make it fair for those regular players that play Hale on the server.

Edited by Zeke Aileron™
1 person likes this

Truth be told, I'd rather have an east coast server than two actual Texas servers, I normally get good ping on east coast servers (80-100) While on VSP (-Funbox) I get sometimes 120 ping when there's not a lot of people on. And normally coasting around 90. I do like the idea of having the Normal VSP server in Jersey, but, it's not really up to us. I'd honestly rather deal with East Coast ping for everyone to get Average ping. I am from California, and I say East coast is better than mid America. End the Facestabs Unregistered Backstabs!

Throwing in my two cents, nothing more, nothing less,

1 person likes this

Im glad everyone likes me and col's idea but just for funsies i did make a topic about moving one of the texas servers and everyone disagreed but now everyone is agreeing xD.

Anyways i don't mind what server get's moved as long as one of the texas servers get moved to jersey.

We pray that Raini and Simple will hear the voices of the peoples and listen.

and then we all realise Raini won't do it.

See its realization that get people the most in this world, once people realize when something might not happen do to one opinions, they cower away, but when people that want change they gather others and with there optimistic will change anything if they put there mind to it, but one voice cant do as much as gathering other voice's. On which i will say again.

As a Consideration i would like to thank the people that put in there input of the matter, and as much as i wish i could do something, at last it is not based on my decision, yet based on the decision on people that would like to speak up, so i encourage people to speak up more.

In getting a different server other thin having two texas server preferably a fast download one i would also agree on that, which would also help out allot of people not just including the people that have the models, but the new comers that will join in the future, with that in mind, i would also like to encourage people to notified simple and raini if possibly of the matter, to get this in motion.

With that again i would like to thank the people for there input and for the people that agree. Please keep giving more opinions and more help if possible, thank you  

2 people like this

Even tho Scootz does have a point we can't give up. A Texas server needs to be moved. Having 2 is just dumb and like i said i recommend the funbox since everyone that plays there lives no where near texas and has the worst ping players of all the servers..

Edited by Steel Crescent

Even if we do have a server, hypothetically, moved towards the New Jersey area, the admins of now must be vigilant to ensure that it will not be the Jersey server from several years ago.  No way in Hell will I let this scenario happen.

1 person likes this

The idea of moving one of the Texas server to Jersey would be a very nice change, as it would without doubt make it easier for EU and US player to play together without one having a horrible time because of ping...

Also if one of the server where to be moved, I highly doubt we will get the whole.. uhm "Dinky" scenario again...

TFW all this is prob said ;_; 

And i allot of people that been pubbing can tell you differently, i myself can tell you that there are allot of other server that there hitboxes are far more fair thin the server, and the perk that they get is the fact that they see us in front of them while we are 5 feet away from them, which also people would say that is true because there are people that would say that they saw us 1 foot in front of them while like i said we could be 5 feet away from them, and having high ping does give you longer extended range. 

This isn't an opinion piece. Whether servers have different hitboxes isn't about whether you want to believe it or if you just 'feel' it, its about whether thats something you can do with a TF2 server and if it has been done to the server you're playing on. Because it may be possible doesn't then make it reasonable to claim that its the problem here.