The_Mr_Kumar

In regards to the Pony Fortress 2 mod and other TF2 related stuff

257 posts in this topic

I see that we are taking in a wing of refugees from a community similar to ours.  With this comes different ideas and a playstyle that's from their servers.

Now the question is: what in particular is that mod like?

What other mods do you guys play?

Is Vanilla TF2 still a big thing prior to the server closure?

How would you compare the Versus Ponyville Mod with any of the mods y'all run?

Heroes is stupid. There's a reason many started calling it "OP Horses".

There were...issues surrounding the success of vanilla TF2 at PF2. With a staff willing to work it right, vanilla TF2 should be fine.

Never played VSP msyelf. Massive fan of vanilla TF2 (SoapDM and Dodgeball is about as far into modded TF2 as I go).

Heroes is stupid. There's a reason many started calling it "OP Horses".

This. A lot of this. Horrible mod every since it became massively unbalanced. It used to be good when the heroes were balanced and identical. DragonLight went a little stir crazy pouring over his code.

I personally loved the mod, though I can completely see why some call it "OP Horses" (and there are a few OP ones indeed). I could personally go either way as far as vanilla or Heroes.

We also had Zombie Fortress for a little while, but it didn't really take off. Before that we had our own stock FF2 and Saxton Hale, but those eventually died down and for a long time PF2 was supported by Heroes.

...wait, we hated MLP Heroes?

Anyway, i'm with Nuke, i loved MLP Heroes, was the main reason why i joined the community, because of it's unique gamemode.

So basically, imagine Freak Fortress 2, but embedded into regular TF2 gameplay. Each team, at the start of a round, will get a FF2-like Pony. That pony has a melee weapon, a nerfed, but specialized weapon, and a Primary and Secondary ability. Primary abilities (dubbed "Specials") are like FF2's Rages, while secondaries are smaller version of it. Special meter usually gets filled by time, but the fill boosts, if there are teammates around you...by a few percents (+50% max with 4+ teammates). Getting it to full 100% can make the hero activate it's special ability, while Secondaries can be activated, by only using a part of the gathered special meter. (Like Twilight's teleport costing 25% of her special meter)

The hero themselves can't contribute to objectives. AKA they can't cap, get the intel, or push the payload cart. They're just there to help the team.

...in a nutshell, that's basically it...

Edited by Diskette

Here is the thing the community had some issues with the Mod vs Vanilla we had a server for both since it was pretty split. 

The heroes mod itself start to intrude on base gameplay more and more as DL updated it which made many start to dislike the mod. But essentially the mod has a miniature version of your saxtons that would play on each team. During their early stages they had ultimates that could be used that help the team but as the mod progressed the abilities start to become rediculous things like unbinding all you keys for 5 secs and stuff that just killed gameplay. However I feel that the team for VS Ponyville could spend some more time on the mod and actually make a more balanced mod along with some more interesting hero ideas as well.

If you had to make just one server I would suggest a stock server since I believe VS Ponyville would satisfy people's horse needs

Edited by Cyber Commander

We did have a vanilla server a while back i think, but it got converted into a "fun", "trade" server thing..... Neither of which i find there. Honestly, if you guys had issues with the special abilities ruining gameplay and all, have fun with rages here, lol.

We did have a vanilla server a while back i think, but it got converted into a "fun", "trade" server thing..... Neither of which i find there. Honestly, if you guys had issues with the special abilities ruining gameplay and all, have fun with rages here, lol.

Lmao, depending on the person who plays the Pony Boss, then yeah i'd agreed on this as well.

Lmao, depending on the person who plays the Pony Boss, then yeah i'd agreed on this as well.

Here is the thing for you guys you are saying depending on the person. On MLP Heroes it didn't matter who it was as long as it wasn't their first time

Here is the thing for you guys you are saying depending on the person. On MLP Heroes it didn't matter who it was as long as it wasn't their first time

On VSP, the rage abilities are way different than the ones on Heroes, and the fact you only have 1 life per round as a Red mercenary, people that tend to play the Pony Hale boss tryhard killing everyone by complete skill or non stop raging, even if it's their first time playing.

But imagine you're playing Dustbowl, trying to push 3-2 against a 2000hp Engineer, your team is about as intelligent as your average rock, and the 2000hp Engie's ultimate spawns minisentries on top of dispensers near her entire team.

Or what about trying to be attack on any map and have a 2000 hp heavy that moves at the speed of a 5 heads demo keeps 2 shotting you every time you walk out the door. Not to mention said hero can activate a secondary ability to restore 50% of its max hp making killing him with even a kritzkrieg hard

Honestly if you are going to recreate the Heroes mode I would like to see some more interesting Heroes like how you guys have the CmC in VS Ponyville. I remember I posted an idaa for a Snips and Snails back on PF2 but that was never considered 

Edited by Cyber Commander

How about we just stop this pissing match over which game mode is more OP, mkay?

The conclusion that I'm finding here is this: MLP Heroes is broken, and it will require a lot of nerfing if we ever wanted to implement it here.

Bam.

2 people like this

I will say I am very appreciative that you guys are willing to give the MLP Heroes mod a looking over, because it was a very fun mod for the time before things started getting really crazy with it. In the mean time though, I'll continue slaying the Ponies as the Holy Assassin Spy that I am in VSP.

Honestly by now you'd be better off building the mod from the ground up.  The current iteration of Heroes has a ton of balance problems that are too numerous to try to fix all of them.

The overall idea of the game mode is great, yes, but the implementation has much to be desired.

Is Vanilla TF2 still a big thing prior to the server closure?

Hell yes.  I tolerate MLPHeroes over on PF2 because it's the closest thing to a vanilla TF2 experience in a Pony Community there is.  If you had a server which was active frequently that was just normal TF2 without any sort of model swapping or whatever, there would be a good number of people who would love you forever for it.  Doubly so if it tried to address inherent shall-we-say issues with TF2 such as class stacking and random crits.

Edited by Scherzo

Personally, I just want a vanilla TF2 with custom maps that rotate in and out every now and then. I like the heroes mod, although I think that there are a few tweaks that would be needed (more vulnerability to explosives, mainly, but this isn't the place to discuss that), but I played it mostly because I liked the community more.

I would really like a server that is just the base game. PF2 is where I learned to play the game, and I would like a place to keep playing with them in a less-than-serious-but-still-challenging match.

2 people like this

Personally, I just want a vanilla TF2 with custom maps that rotate in and out every now and then. I like the heroes mod, although I think that there are a few tweaks that would be needed (more vulnerability to explosives, mainly, but this isn't the place to discuss that), but I played it mostly because I liked the community more.

I would really like a server that is just the base game. PF2 is where I learned to play the game, and I would like a place to keep playing with them in a less-than-serious-but-still-challenging match.

ALL OF THIS PLEASE! I cannot praise this idea enough. Just vanilla tf2 please. hopefully it'll be less laggy.

Like Nuke and Diskette said, I love that mod. I love the hell out of it. Don't get me wrong, I like me some vanilla TF2 as well, but the sheer whimsy and insanity that can go on in this gamemode is what I so enjoy about it. It's... vanilla+. In particular, I always love playing as Fluttershy and Rarity, though I made it a standing rule not to play as Rarity if the server was less than half full.

By and far, I feel most of the way the mod is working as it is is alright. There are some tweaks that can be made, like reducing the health Applejack restores to buildings per wrench hit to buildings to prevent her tanking damage, say by maybe 33% to 40%, reduce Fluttershy's special loss from Twilight's charged laser, and giving Trixie a SLIGHT buff to her flamethrower, as it seems she's been nerfed into the ground as an overreaction to the days when she was friggin' Super Pony-jin 3 levels of power.

However, I think the three gravest mistakes Dragonlight ever did to Heroes was give Big Mac that massive healing secondary, upped his speed to on par with normal hero speed (Medic speed should have been the utmost limit of his speed, with a speed boost on special), and MAKING THAT ACCURSED DANCING SPECIAL FOR VINYL SCRATCH. SHE USED TO HAVE AN AWESOME BLEEDING-BASED SPECIAL, BUT THEN HE MADE A SPECIAL THAT FREEZES YOU IN PLACES AND FORCES YOU TO DO THE THRILLER TAUNT, AND YOU'RE STILL FROZEN IN PLACE FOR A SECOND AFTER THE TAUNT STOPS. I HATE IT. I HATE IT. I HATE IT!!

As for the issue of their HP, I think we finally got it just right, and as for certain folks that argue that it should be only around 700-800 points...

NO.

I'll fight you tooth and nail on that matter till the day I die on that matter. Such low HP ruins any fun of the mod. Whether you're playing as or against the hero, half the fun and insanity of of it all is the four-digit HPs, trying to face down such a terrifying and seemingly insurmountable foe by the grit of your teeth.

...your team is about as intelligent as your average rock...

Sometimes that just makes things even funnier.

Also...

But imagine you're playing Dustbowl, trying to push 3-2 against a 2000hp Engineer, your team is about as intelligent as your average rock, and the 2000hp Engie's ultimate spawns minisentries on top of dispensers near her entire team.

I've listened to you in chat many times before. I think you just don't like engies period. awesomecheer_zpskvbeorwi.png

Anyhow, at the very least, a vanilla TF2 server would be nice.

Edited by Lord Nanfoodle
2 people like this

Coming from a guy who would prefer vanilla over the hero's. I believe what made PF2 unique from other MLP themed servers was the MLP hero's mod.

In my opinion i thought the hero's mod was just fine as it is, but i do think that it could use some tweaking here and there. 

After reading all these comments here I can definitely tell that Vanilla TF2 is the one thing all of you would like to see here.  And should Raini and simple (as well as any other administrators) accept that the MLPHeroes Mod be transferred over here, that the mod should indeed be built from the ground up.  However I ask that if you still have any coders/devs of the mod that's still willing to make such changes and have the will and desire to continue to maintain that mod, please speak up now.  For now, if all of you guys wish to see MLPHeroes be transferred from PF2 to ours, I also ask that you guys speak up as well.

On top of this, I now ask our server Moderators to give their input of whether or not if MLPHeroes should be transferred from PF2 to our community to accommodate our newcomers.

The other gamemodes that's mentioned like Zombie Fortress, we do have another thread going in terms of what WORKING game mod can be implemented back into the Funbox server.

I've always been interested in doing Source coding, and I know it's very similar to Java/C++, but I still have some learning to do.

1 person likes this

Dragonlight is the sole dev for the mod. Many moons ago, Redm00n was workin on it as well, but I don't know why that stopped. DL just doesn't trust anyone, so he's turned down every offer of help. Just look at how he'd rather close his community than give anyone else the keys.

If anyone wants to try recreating Heroes, I should be able to give you a server for dev purposes.