SpazzDragon

Character Introductions

6 posts in this topic

Something i like to do is get to know not only the people of a community, but also the character's those people have created. You can learn a lot about a person by the way they shape a character's personality, and behaviors. As such, i have created the "Character introductions" thread. Where people can share and talk about either the character's they have made, or talk about what they think makes a good character. 

So with that said, feel free to talk openly about characters you have created, maybe you need help figuring out what direction to take your character? I hope that this thread will eventually become a place people can come to in order to discus good character design. And i mean Personality. There will be no judgment here based on appearances. Though you are more than welcome to share pictures of your characters. Just, to avoid cluttering up the posts, please use the BBcode

for all images. 

I have two OCs whom I have RPed with extensively.

The first is Low Key, who is the unicorn in my avatar.  In a nutshell, he's socially awkward but incredibly altruistic.  He works as a bartender at a pub in Manehattan, which explains his attire.  He also loves music and plays the bass guitar.  Aside from his social awkwardness, his biggest character flaw, in my honest opinion, is his promiscuity.  He has a hard time saying no because of his lack of willpower; coupled with his desire for any kind of affection, he ends up being very easily exploited and manipulated.

My other OC is Aegis, a combat veteran suffering from PTSD and DID.  In an AU I thought up where the events of the Canterlot Wedding led to a wide spread campaign of anti-insurgent warfare across Equestria, Aegis' unit was deployed to the pony equivalent of Vietnam.  There, he not only witnessed the brutality of his enemies, but also the cold detachment of his commanders, many of whom were nobles who inherited their positions and saw everypony beneath them as inferior.  He was eventually discharged for mental instability after he assaulted an officer and then wandered the country for a few years.  He finally came to the conclusion that all of the nobles involved in the "Bitnam" theater needed to die, and so made it his life goal to take out as many of them as he could before they cut him down.  

Those characters seem quite opposite one another in tone, One seems rather cheery the other quite dark, I suppose this allows for a wide range of things in your head cannon. though I have always rather liked characters without massive quests or large rolls, just people who have their lives to live, uninterested in the larger events of the world they are in. They take into account the world they are in, but never explicitly  Take major part, only exist in it going on their own path and their own story. using the world as a base for it. 

And now since someone actually responded to my thread i will also share some about my characters. 

I have two that i use with semi regularity. 

Spazz, my primary character and also my oldest. He is an intellectual at heart, and enjoys the search for knowledge and constantly tinkers with his work, spending his time somewhat secluded in the Everfree, but despite being as intelligent as he is. Rarely does he ever comes across as being all that smart, because he has rather little patience for those who cant understand, and really hates having to explain things more than once. Aside from being a little rough around the social edges, he has a heart of gold. And is rather idealistic, maybe to a fault, as he will do whatever is in his power to protect the people he calls friends. His biggest flaw i would say is his lack of patients, making him quick tempered at times and short sighted. 

My other character is Nezza, Though at this time i am not confident enough in her over all character to really share much about. 

Just want to ask is this general characters or just MLP because I have a long list of non-MLP characters. For now just my MLP OC I guess.

Name: Circuit Breaker

Appearance: Male Earth Pony, profile picture is him

Cutie Mark/Talent: Wrench and Crowbar crossed, Mechanical prowess, has create devices that handle psionic energies

Backstory: Breaker was born in an Unicorn dominate town. Due to his treatment in town he grew a strong distaste for magic. To get back at this he isolated himself in order to focus on something he believed would out class magic. Eventually he created devices that allowed him to manipulate pure mental energies. This manipulation is known as psionic(taken from Starcraft’s Protoss). After creating various different devices that used his psionic he felt he had exceeded the magic present in his hometown so he moved towards the strongest force he could find. This eventually lead him to settle in a base around Canterlot and Ponyville (exact location I haven’t decided).

Related Characters:

Sova: Breakers “pet” owl he met on in his travels. Sova now comes with him on his night explorations.

AI 514-082-173 aka Petros: Breaker's Smart AI Construct that he created to help run his base and gear.

Just want to ask is this general characters or just MLP because I have a long list of non-MLP characters. For now just my MLP OC I guess.

You are welcome to share any of your characters here. I want to talk about character design in general so go ahead. 

So Toki Zensekai is my longest running OC.

I've been roleplaying with my OC since I was 8 years old. Yes, for nearly 19 years I've been roleplaying with the same character. Essentially his name was just "Toki" and didn't aquire the last name until I was about 22.  Toki was, at the beginning, the very essence of a "Gary-Stu". He was reflected off of me at the time in every way (plus my real name is Toki-- But I tend to write this off because it's such a rare name) and was quite the twink. I always thought my character could improve, but I never could figure out how. It wasn't until some events transpired on Furcadia that I was able to finally get the reality check I needed, and thus began to massive chizzling of the statue that defined who my character was.

Finally I took out all the imperfections (or I should say perfections from a Gary Stu standpoint), and finally started defining who Toki Zensekai really was and eventually became his own character. I know some people question why I would keep roleplaying the same character for this long, but he does have such a strong emotional attachment to me and he's a very adaptable character who can fit in just about any situation. Despite all these years, I'm still perfecting him to be the best character he can be. I don't know how long it's going to take, but I'll keep at it.

1 person likes this