Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Koekelbag

On the words "Destiny" and "Free will"

9 posts in this topic

And now, for something completely different.

So... me and my friend got into a small argument about our ideas of destiny and free will.

She, for one, believes that there is no such thing as destiny, that people aren't bound to a greater plan when making decisions, and thus have free will.

I, on the other hand, do believe that there is a destiny, a... script, if you will. Like life is just one endless bigger-than-existence story fully written out...

But I also believe that you can't say that you know what is written in this script that has yet to come, and still be able to call yourself "human" at the same time. That, having the ability to read further into this story would basically put you on the same level as a god. So... yes, there is a destiny, but since you can't know what that entails for the future you simply can do anything you want, thus having free will.

Now, I got curious if maybe some people here had something to add to this? Like, what are your thoughts? Do you believe in free will? Destiny? Both? Neither? Discuss away.

Yes, this may seem a bit philosophical, but... eh, why not.

Edited by Koekelbag

what if your destiny is to have free will?

what if you use your free will to follow destiny?

I view life as a path with many options. I can go left or right, or I can break into the grass trusting my animal instincts.

I'd like to think that Destiny is the result of free will decision making, that results in true happiness and satisfaction. We don't really know what denotes "Destiny" but if it's something along the traditional lines of "Fate" then perhaps all the choices we make, is a part of Destiny, even the decisions we didn't make, and the ones that we've second guessed ourselves on.

I also think that while each action is a choice determined by Destiny, I think there is multiple ways to go about this "Road" and I think free will allows us the freedom to do what we want, while still following a path to the end. Like, a game with an end but with different ways to get to the end. Something like that, I think.

While it doesn't feel like Destiny is something we're bound to do, perhaps everything we've done, and everything we will ever do, is somehow already pre-determined, and our free will allows us to think otherwise.

:V

1 person likes this

I dont belive in nether  of them,But  There totaly something like Destiny.Thats my Own Opinion :/

If you are into "Destiny" or "Predictable History" then I'd recommend Aristole, Hegel, and Karl Marx.

However, I'd recommend you some Karl Popper's works such as "Poverty of Historicism", "The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 2".