Steel Crescent

Chat Spam With Binds

38 posts in this topic

I think this is an issue that needs to be brought up. I for one am sick of seeing the chat spammed with binds players have constantly. Some being rude some trying to be funny after the 600th time and just binds like lenny face and other faces. Im pretty sure there are other people who are sick of this and others who will defend it because they like their little binds. I want something to be done about this. It's annoying and i am frankly tired of it. This only seems to be an issue on Normal texas but either way i want it to stop and something be done about it. An example of a rude one has to be Brony Down Under's.It has something to do with being rage killed and it has some face with shades flippen you the bird.Nice huh. Anyways hopefully people will agree with me and something will be done about it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But it shouldn't be a big deal unless you make it one. Someone posting a dumb little bind shouldn't be such a harmful thing unless it's derogatory. 

others who will defend it because they like their little binds

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But it shouldn't be a big deal unless you make it one. Someone posting a dumb little bind shouldn't be such a harmful thing unless it's derogatory. 

Jokes aside it's a problem. Im tired of seeing the chat completely filled with lenny faces. big things of text. Or just useless  crap beucause ppl find it "fun" when chat spam is NOT ALLOWED.

Edited by Steel Crescent

I also agree that bind-spamfests are starting to become annoying... I mean, if you start to see binds like "oh look, binds, gotta join the bind party" or something, you know this has gone a bit far.

As for a possible solution... aren't there already warnings for flooding the chat?

Edited by Koekelbag

I've had UGC players in the past use quotes of mine in their binds. 8)

Binds in competitive matches by iron/steel level players that have to do with the competitive game are mostly just cancerous and annoying - same with those one's that people spam after they kill someone that were clearly borrowed from someone else. (i.e. rekt, not rekted)  However, some can be quite humorous nonetheless.

Personally I see no problem with binds by themselves as long as they are used at relevant times and aren't spammed or abused accordingly.

1 person likes this

OH LOOK AN "ISSUE" THAT IS FOUND THREW OUT TF2!

AND LIKE EVERY OTHER GAME YOU CAN BIND KEYS WITH!

Ok let's ban 2/3rds of our players DONE

now that Scootz is done making useless posts maybe we can get back to the topic at hand... Something does need to be done because im sure the rules state spamming the chat is not allowed. i think a warning and then a temp gag should be implemented when something like this happens and if that person or ppl refuse to listen i say perma gag them and then they can appeal if they want it lifted. This is just an idea and it may be a bit harsh but spamming the chat with useless pointless binds is annoying and im sure like i said before a lot of ppl do not like it.

Edited by Steel Crescent
2 people like this

You know Steel, there's nothing in the rules concerning "Chat bind spam" directly, and the rules you're suggesting ins't very suggestible since in the "Staff Rules and Punishment List" it says this:

Chat Spam

Spamming text/say chat

First Offense: 1 day/Happy

Second Offense: 1 week/Happy

Third Offense: Permanent Mute (Permamute) which doesn't make sense since muting is for Mic use and not chat, so it should be (Permagag)

But looking at the offenses which say "Happy" which considers to be only towards those that are saying stuff in chat that is unpleasant to the people currently on the server.

Yes i understand that "Chat Bind Spam" is excessive to a point, but when it's just 1-2 people doing it at that time and no one else doing it, it's not a big deal, but when alot of people are doing it especially if it's the same chat bind as every other being used at the same time then yes it's problematic, and usually the Lenny Face chat bind is often scolded with a automated Admin slap towards the player using it and it will notify everyone on the server that said player received a slap for it which may not be a warning for the other players but it's still a notification to show the others to not do the same(which many just ignore either way ._.).

Edited by Zeke Aileron™

Snipped

no. Rules are rules Zeke and you bind chat spam is the same thing as chat spam. yes the happy implies it is towards offensive or unpleasant things but it also has a slash dividing the 2 and it is made to be used towards both offenses not just the one. Gag for those who spam and happy for those who speak unpleasantly in the chat. Chat spammers of any kind should and need to be punished. i don't care what it is. You brake the rules you pay for them if you fail to listen to said rules and admins/mods. Just ignore? no Zeke. it's hard to ignore the chat being filled to the brim with 50 different little binds being used over and over especially for those who don't use the mic like me which is the majority of the server players. some use both though but most use the chat only. Its not fair to ppl either when they wanna say something and in comes 100 freakin binds to ruin what they say.

Edited by Steel Crescent

Again,

it's not like a single person spamming, it's just a single line by multiple people.

This is the biggest issue when it comes to enforcing the "No Chat Spam" rule. If a single person is spamming, then yes, easy gag, but when it's a single bind by a few different people, then it's a bit different enforcing a gag or not.

Or install some kind of plugin that doesn't let you say something within a certain time frame, and if you try, you get time-out'd from talking in chat for a period of time. That might help.

3 people like this

Ew, chat binds! Those are so gross. Every time I play with certain people, I get the pleasure of reading the same meaningless, old and tired text more times than I'd care to count throughout a map.

And it's like Col said in his first post: When one person does it, their friends often join in and reply with their own chat binds and the chat will turn into a wall of useless and extremely familiar text.

None of it has any meaning. It's not funny. All chat binds do is degrade one method of communication on the server.

It'd be pretty rad if there were some wonderful plugin that just outright prevented chat binds from being used. I wonder if such a thing can exist.

1 person likes this

I don't think there is a way to stop chat binds from being used since they're just the say command.

That's why the plugin. If you try to spam that, like some people do, you get a message only you can see. Something along the lines, "You're chatting too fast! Slow down, please wait x amount of seconds." And if you keep trying, you get another message saying you've been timed-out. It would at least stem the tide.

1 person likes this

Binds I've seen that stood out to me:

"This is a calamity." - dk Karl

"All you ever talk about is friendship" - Mustardoverlord

"Are you kermit the fucking frog?" - "User"

"What if the titanic had a turn script" - Junebug

Things involving lmaobox

Multiple say commands separated by a timer that discuss things like cats, anything mlp related, chat logs between players in the past, etc

"[sM] You are flooding the server!" - Text that appears when you try to spam too much on pf2 but it makes a better bind.

There are lots of good binds out there if you know the reasoning behind them.  Please don't get rid of them, ;_;

Edited by LQUser
1 person likes this

There are lots of good binds out there if you know the reasoning behind them.  Please don't get rid of them, ;_;

If something is actually worth reading, then surely it's worth putting in the minimal effort it takes to actually type it.

Chat binds don't do much else other than pollute text chat.

1 person likes this

Mods and Admins have commands for a reason. They were given those privileges to help keep the servers in a friendly, controlled environment. If bind spam becomes an issue, enforce it with a certain procedure:

1. Simply Warn those player(s)

2. Second Warning

3. Gag for 5 Minutes

4. If they continue, Gag for 30 Minutes

5. IF they still continue after all this, then it leads to a permagag or ban, based on severity or spam frequency

Especially, determine if they are trolling intentionally or not, check their overall playtime, search up their Steam ID, and see if they have other friends on the server that are "commoners." If shit don't make sense, and its all fishy, just give a simple ban and deal with it on the forums. Ban Appeals exsist for a reason, to resolve problems and find solutions, and this being public, somewhat sends a message to others that might have done the same thing but didn't face the consequences.

There's lots of scenarios that can occur, so make out which is serious spam, and which is a bunch of people spamming for fun, etc etc.

If you're an mod/admin, what would you do? Put yourself in that position. Simple. :hurrr:

Edited by Vin
1 person likes this

Tip: muting someone through the TF2 menu also blocks you from seeing their chat.

This, but it is kinda inconvenient to do if multiple people are spamming binds

Also, I am guilty of using binds from time to time, sorry

Edited by VictiniStar101

Still don't think you PF2 people are understanding the whole issue here. It's not that binds themselves are an issue. Binds aren't normally that annoying, it's just in our servers case, it can get really bad. Like I've said multiple times, one person uses a SINGLE bind, then MULTIPLE other people use a SINGLE bind. It's not a case of one person spamming, its a case of multiple people using ONE bind. If ONE person was spamming, I would gag them, easy, but when its multiple people using a SINGLE bind, I can't necessarily gag for one bind.

Example:

Person 1: [unneccesary rekt comment]

Person 2: [complaint about rage bind]

Person 3: [complaint about range bind]

Person 4: [completely unnecessary bind that has nothing to do with anything]

Person 5: [stupid quote that nobody cares about]

Please tell me this makes sense after I tried to make it as obvious as possible. 
And no, muting on client side doesn't fix the problem, it's just ignoring it.
4 people like this

I've been on the servers a good bunch and I have witnessed this.  What about implementing some sort of system where certain phrases are blacklisted from being said in chat and those who do either get a friendly reminder not to use that in chat or just kick them.  Although I can see how this seems like a bad idea, as there are too many different binds to keep track of

Edited by VictiniStar101
1 person likes this