Steel Crescent

Chat Spam With Binds

38 posts in this topic

There are quite a few PF2ers who end up in places with outright despicable binds with little means of stopping them, so we've just mastered the art of hud_saytext_time 0; voice_enable 0.

And no, muting on client side doesn't fix the problem, it's just ignoring it.

EDIT: didn't see the 2nd page.. this is in response to Lawnmower but anyone else can read.

@Lawnmower

Honestly i would gag them all if they failed to listen to me plain and simple. you break the rules you pay especially after failing to head my warnings. They contributed to the spam and refused to stop. Im not 100% against this and Col i know your point is a valid one but i don't think it's fair to ppl who type just to watch there warning for the team,question, or anything important get swept away in a flood of useless text in the form of binds. Think of it like this Col or any mod/admin. Let's say you go on the server to play. have fun. Then players start using binds every so often for fun but not flooding the chat. that's fine. But then it get's worse and ppl start just using them over and over like i have seen multiple times because players love to join in. Now let's say you are warning someone to stop being friendly but when you do they start spamming those binds again because someone was one raged and they have stupid bind to comment back at it then everyone else joins in because that person is doing it. Your warning get's ignored and im sure it would be frustrating to have to type it all out again along with the persons name. most likely that name is a nice huge one thanks to steam allowing monster sized names. What im saying is that flooding the chat with binds annoys players and can interfere in the work of a mod or admin because they can't warn a person about something they are doing because ppl think it's "fun". All in all action needs to be taken. If they break the rules and ignore the warnings. Punish them.

Edited by Steel Crescent

I've been on the servers a good bunch and I have witnessed this.  What about implementing some sort of system where certain phrases are blacklisted from being said in chat and those who do either get a friendly reminder not to use that in chat or just kick them.  Although I can see how this seems like a bad idea, as there are too many different binds to keep track of

Well actually we do have something like that, but it's primarily for people that use Lenny Faces, and chat emotes that suggest a derogatory action like "Middle finger emotes, and more(cause mentioning them here is not necessary since ppl would attempt to try them anyway), which is the admin slap, and sometimes it won't post your text saying in chat, it'll just slap you instead.

Edited by Zeke Aileron™

Maybe you guys should consider extending that functionality to apply for some bind that are frequently spamed, should the need call for it

You could also do a plugin that checks peoples' chats and if it starts seeing the same string over and over again it'll know to take action by itself, whether it be a kick or slap or whatever you guys choose.

Coming from the other side of the spectrum, it's hard to punish a single person with a single bind that they only use once every few minutes.

Hell, I got tired of binds and made a sarcastic "That's nice dear." as a 'we really don't give a fuck' equivalent.

When it turns to mass spam then the warnings start getting thrown around like crazy and usually by the time two people are muted the rest will shut up with it.

Honestly, I believe a plugin that warns a player for flooding the chat, and then be kicked if they set off the warning too many times (the example above about ubers being used: these only need one bind, and generally won't come up from the same person within 30 seconds of previous use.).

Not all binds are bad, but some are more cancerous than Twitch chat.

Actually, uber popped binds can happen frequently if a Vaccinator Medic has all 4 charges ready and doesn't chain them as one uber, Quick-Fix every 32 seconds (Kritz, too, if the Medic minds his build rate), uber every 40 seconds. But, don't forget that Gun Mettle allows you to pick up dropped weapons and Mediguns retain their charge when picked up. A decent enough team can use their uber to drop an enemy Medic, take his gun, and potentially have another uber ready to go instantly or within the next few seconds.