Broneteer

Do I really need to get into streaming?

5 posts in this topic

I'm not sure how many of you know, or care, but I do YouTube videos as a hobby, (link to channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTvX8nENHkCNE7xEnXQuvvg) and I'm looking to try and make that a more serious thing that I do. I know that making videos of gaming is for fun, and I'm trying to expand my audience so that the good times get shared with more people. That being said, YouTube recently put out the YouTube Gaming feature, which is basically an update to their streaming services. I have plans to stream later today at 6pm MST, which is in like, 12 hours. I was wondering if this is a good idea, and if so I'd like to get an idea of what games to start the stream off with. I made a strawpoll showing what games I have that I think people would be interested in seeing here http://strawpoll.me/5404028/. Some feedback would be nice, cause I get told a lot by people close in my life that this whole endeavour is a "waste of time", and not a lot of my friends are very supportive or helpful to what I'm trying to do.

Try streaming and see how it goes: If streaming is something you enjoy, then do it. But otherwise, don't bother.

If you do something for the love of it, you cannot fail. Its "success" should not be your goal, but rather a nice bonus. Good things often take time to grow, and a following is no exception. You'll probably get better at what you do as you do it more, and then you'll be more enjoyable to watch.

However, if you go in with expectations of success and rapid growth, you'll likely become burnt out, discouraged, and you'll abandon streaming. Don't do that.

Have fun, and all will be well.

1 person likes this

If you do something for the love of it, you cannot fail. Its "success" should not be your goal, but rather a nice bonus. Good things often take time to grow, and a following is no exception. You'll probably get better at what you do as you do it more, and then you'll be more enjoyable to watch.

However, if you go in with expectations of success and rapid growth, you'll likely become burnt out, discouraged, and you'll abandon streaming. Don't do that.

These words of wisdom apply to more than just streaming.

Study what others do and why it succeeds to help improve your stream (not saying rip people off, but nothing in life comes without sources of inspiration) but don't harbor grandiose expectations, lest you create an imaginary pedestal to fall from. (it still hurts just the same)

It's up to you if you wanna stream or not. I also do youtube as a hobby of mine as in i love doing let's plays(if you wanna a link look on my profile) and i don't get the most views in the world but that doesn't really matter to me. I made the channel and let's plays cuz i love doing them and my friends enjoy it. That is all that matters to me and that should be the case for you. when streaming or doing videos you should do them cuz you like it and you find it fun or love it. Not because you want to be the most popular guy there because trust me unless you are super lucky your hopes will be DASHED quickly and that isn't good. It's like Kralthe said about going in with expectations of success. Do not do it that way. Do it because you enjoy it and it's fun.

Im not sure any of this is of any help and i doubt it but it's up to you. Also do not worry about the quality being amazing. What is important is that people can hear you and see your stuff and that your stream isn't laggy video hell. Find a good balance of quality and performance and MAKE SURE PPL CAN HEAR YOU. it's very important that they do. Anyways thanks for reading and if you decide to stream good luck and most importantly HAVE FUN WITH IT. <3