Scootz

Seriously guys...

17 posts in this topic

I've been monitoring these forums ever since I left the servers, I didn't really leave the forums just to watch over what VSP will form into. And it seems that people don't understand why there are so little people on the forums. 

After I gave up my developer Status to get the Admins of the community to pay attention to the servers besides the occasional fix of a server and updating everytime there is a update (which can take up to 24+hours) they fixed the weapons that were promised ect. (Yet invisi watch and other items are still broken)

Now, when there are people who has waited 11 days to get donator yet didn't, that's pretty sad considering the fact that it should be instant. 

Now, this may seem like a rant thread, and I am possibly going to be banned for it or this post will be taken down, so I will save a .txt file of it just in case it does get taken down. 

So, number 1: 

I see Raini is back to streaming, 

Due to my  reminders from my email that she is indeed streaming, once again i'll note this, Due to the streaming they're slipping away from the community

cJrRceR.png

zdOa8SK.png

mNVglcQ.png

cLAB6M7.png

M734BFb.png

2) People are slipping away themselves

TF2 as a whole i'm going to talk about now, People just don't find the game fun anymore, I play it on the rare occasion but it just is starting to get lamer and lamer due to no original content coming in. 

3) Vsp is losing more and more players

This is where people are going to raise eyebrows for proof and I have it due to the trusty gametracker.

Texas:

ZjlXUCx.png

In the month of September the Average was 15 and in August it was 16

Funbox:

UYF20v5.png

A bit higher then server 1

Japan:

iClPmYD.png

What did I expect.

Europe:

XXxJ92R.png

Much lower then Before

Cali:

39xZadg.png

So, yeah dunno 'bout you but these numbers don't lie and i'm going to say that word that's going to piss A LOT of people off. Versus Ponyville is DYING. I know what you guys are going to say in the chat "Oh look, Scootz is coming back to say the community is dying when it isn't" ect ect. But believe me when I say this. Simple and Raini, after the basic problems were "solved" Just went back to what was so important. Leaving the server to once again start rotting. 

Sorry for coming off dark, but I just want to let the community know that unless something is done. Rest in Spoopy the server.

Also, PS: From sources, I heard the FNaP boss was going to be added. I will make this a public announcement to let everyone know that, if ANYONE sees the boss on the server let me know, cause after deleting the post with the files, it's kinda clear I don't want the boss on the server. Due to it being my boss and the hype behind it was destroyed a long time ago. 

Edited by Scootz

I'd like to also make it clear that yes, I did infact have disccusion with complete randoms about this subject and they agreed that the community is getting more and more cancerous, that it's just not fun anymore and the lack of donations. Even people who are people who have been on for years have been leaving. 

Guys, pick up your game :/  You literally have one chance left. You waist that chance and you know what's going to happen.

Edited by Scootz

As far as TF2 itself, we have Invasion (hopefully Monday), the first community Scream Fortress, another major update (performance improvements and, Gaben willing, matchmaking), and Smissmas for this year. Once matchmaking drops, the TF2 team is going to use data from that to balance weapons/classes. I'm also hoping matchmaking give the team an opportunity to throw weapon ideas into the mix and see what sticks without having to just unleash them on the entire community all at once.

As far as ponyville.net goes, I'm pretty sure the PF2 crowd has mostly bailed for Friendship is Gaming after growing tired of playing the waiting game for a vanilla server. Whatever happened to that fancy new box they were talking about a few months ago that could run a ton of servers? 

Whatever happened to that fancy new box they were talking about a few months ago that could run a ton of servers? 

Honestly i don't know what happened to that, and i'm still holding off from donating anything since other people on the server and on the forum are having issues with it especially since it's been 11+ days for that issue to be happening, so i'm currently waiting for that to be issued with.

Don't get me wrong, i love the server to death, but if it continues on like this, i know where i'm going when the inevitable happens.

Edited by Zeke Aileron™

If there was any other reason to make the comment than just pure old salt, you would have suggested what exactly is wrong with our servers right now that needs immediate fixing. What does "slipping away from the community" mean? I was working twitchcon when that was going on and I have a citizenship interview soon, so I have my hands full. I visited Raini while I was in California also, so that's the major reason for delays.

Raini barely has free time because of her disabled relative she takes care of, and the fact that she finally has time to stream now is great for her well-being. 

We still work on the servers in the background, whether you want to believe it or not. We disabled spellbooks on funbox a couple days ago for instance, as we figure out what exactly is going on that causes the penalty to be removed.

As far as your second point you are right, TF2 in general is a dying game and most of the blame with that lies on Valve, not on us.

1 person likes this

And another addition: I understand that you may actually care about the servers and you express it through these posts. I understand that you are trying to call attention to what you think is a big issue and that it doesn't look like we are doing anything. But honestly, none of these posts tell us anything we didn't already know. All they accomplish is unnecessary drama and making it look like the bickering back and forth between forum members is a regular thing. Please, just trust us to do whatever we do and stop what on surface looks like needless complaining.

1 person likes this

As much as I am against replying to posts like this due to possible backfire, I will admit, I do want to bring some stuff up. With that, I will soon be coming up to my 2nd year here in the VSP community, and to be honest, I regret none of it. I love this place. It got me to know people I now consider real friends, learn new people, and get to know the fandom I love. However, I know there are things I strongly dis-agree with to this very day, and don't understand why they exist. One of which is the dis-trust of Administration. When I was Sea Pony on the forum, I took my time to look at all the posts I needed to read to understand the VSP history of things, and I can see how reforms were made to acclimate to the TTE problems the Ponyville.net community faced. But, what is it now? It's a long gone problem, and yet the dis-trust is felt to this very day where we are perceived as accused yet privileged staff. i try to act as professional as I can, but understand this. I don't spend fucking 2-3 hours every goddamn day to get nothing in return for the feedback I give. I want to help, and yet me, and many others are pushed back due to generic excuses. If anyone ever took the time to notice, I one man Funbox all by myself. I get no help at all from any other staff members to take care of Funbox, and I ask for nothing in return. I do this job voluntarily, and on my own accord, and I know I get nothing in return, but I shouldn't have to try to 6 months to add Raini to just get into contact with her, or everytime I inquire about things like RCON, I am instantly snuffed out.

So, after reading you are probably wondering why I am only thinking about this on a Staff Level? Well it's not that. This situation is everywhere, and it's also affecting staff, development, player base, and server upkeep. Please, Raini and Simple, I say this and this only. We all want to help and you, on every level we can. By withholding all this, you restrict all progress to where you feel and decide you wanna do something one day. No one wants to steal the server code. No one wants to abuse RCON. No one wants to abuse admin privileges. And most importantly, no one likes a upper administration that leaves us in the dark. 

1 person likes this

Find me a server that lets its admins use RCON... that's a tool that is restricted to the owner, for a good reason. It will never be given out to admins or mods or super admins or anyone except the owner. Admin abuse can always be an issue, that's why we have such a lengthy process of getting a feel for the person before giving them admin.

Sorry, but giving out owner tools to admins so that they can help more (even though there's nothing you can accomplish with RCON that you can't with normal admin interface, in the administrator responsibilities capacity) is not even something that will be discussed. Again, find me a community that gives out RCON to its admins. It's extremely rare if not impossible to find. It's a security risk for every other person that has it, and it's plain unecessary for the type of work that admins do 99% of the time.

1 person likes this

I shouldn't have to try to 6 months to add Raini to just get into contact with her, or everytime I inquire about things like RCON, I am instantly snuffed out.

So, after reading you are probably wondering why I am only thinking about this on a Staff Level? Well it's not that. This situation is everywhere, and it's also affecting staff, development, player base, and server upkeep. Please, Raini and Simple, I say this and this only. We all want to help and you, on every level we can. By withholding all this, you restrict all progress to where you feel and decide you wanna do something one day. No one wants to steal the server code. No one wants to abuse RCON. No one wants to abuse admin privileges. And most importantly, no one likes a upper administration that leaves us in the dark.

There's no legitimate reason why you need RCON, so I don't understand why it is "distrustful of staff" not to be sharing RCON.

I don't think you realize just how many things would be abused and/or stolen, intentionally or unintentionally, if all of staff had RCON access.

If you need to get into contact with me there are always PMs, or Simple, or even my stream if I am streaming. I am not always on Steam when you message me. Simple has already mentioned this, but I care for a family member with a debilitating illness and this takes me away from my PC often throughout the day.

The server code is not mine to share. There is a great deal of code in there that belongs to Friagram, Sarysa, and other contributors. Friagram makes a living from coding. I promised not to share his code with anyone and I am a person of my word, no matter how unpopular it makes me to keep it.

Most people probably don't realize it, but we have done balancing changes, fixes, and added weapons at least five times within the last 2 months. Whenever Valve updates the game however, this obviously introduces more things for us to edit and tweak.

The biggest problem I see with how the servers currently are is the lack of maintenance. Here's the thing though, you guys are busy, yes, I'm not saying that you guys are too lazy to do anything, I don't want this post to come off like that. The thing is there is a point where you're TOO busy to take care of your servers. If you seriously do not have time to come onto the servers a few times a week, and to go onto the forums once a day or so, just for a few minutes, then maybe you should not be running the servers. This isn't meant to be calling out you guys for treating it poorly, I'm saying that if you are actually as busy as you guys say you are, then honestly, let others possibly take care of it, or give them more powers to control things.

I mean really, just look at Gun Mettle for example. The Dead Ringer, and the Invis Watch have been broken since then. This is effecting how an entire class works, an entire class is literally broken. When did Gun Mettle come out? July 2nd. It's been 2 MONTHS, and it's not fixed. If I'm not mistaken, there are other servers that have actually fixed this problem, it's not a widely broken thing. It just comes off to me as you guys do not have to the time to take care of your servers.

TL;DR

If you are as busy as you claim to be, then let others do your job for you.

Edited by Col(gate)

If you seriously do not have time to come onto the servers a few times a week, and to go onto the forums once a day or so, just for a few minutes, then maybe you should not be running the servers.

You do not know what we do to maintain the servers.

You do not know how we perform fixes to the servers (nor do you understand what is involved).

You do not know how often we make necessary fixes or changes to the servers/VSP.

You do not know our personal schedules in relation to all of the above.

Being that you are uninformed on all of these important facts, I fail to see how you are in any way qualified to judge my ability to run my own servers. Since you are too incompetent to make these proclamations, maybe you should not be posting them.

How often I play on my servers weekly has no bearing on how qualified I am to maintain or run them. Since you have no understanding of what is involved in maintaining them, I fail to see why you would be in any position to arbitrarily dictate to me how often I should be playing on them to be qualified enough to run them.

This isn't meant to be calling out you guys for treating it poorly

That much is obvious. After all, you're only stating that I may not be fit to run my own servers.

I'm saying that if you are actually as busy as you guys say you are, then honestly, let others possibly take care of it, or give them more powers to control things.

There are already people with sufficient powers who control things. They're called "administrators" and "moderators". We also have coders like Sarysa who put in a significant amount of their own time coding fixes for us whenever Valve breaks things (which is often). There are some things which can only be handled by Simple and myself personally for security or privacy reasons. Then there are issues which nobody can fix other than the developers of plugins which we rely on (such as SourceMod). That happened quite recently.

I mean really, just look at Gun Mettle for example. The Dead Ringer, and the Invis Watch have been broken since then. This is effecting how an entire class works, an entire class is literally broken. When did Gun Mettle come out? July 2nd. It's been 2 MONTHS, and it's not fixed. If I'm not mistaken, there are other servers that have actually fixed this problem, it's not a widely broken thing.

There were multiple updates to VSP following the Gun Mettle update. Many balancing changes were made afterward as the community weighed in varying opinions. This is often the nature of VSP updates. There were some issues with one or two weapons following those updates which we could not "fix" to community specification, but we made changes to compensate for them.

It just comes off to me as you guys do not have to the time to take care of your servers.

Maybe because you do not understand how much is involved in taking care of our servers.

If you are as busy as you claim to be, then let others do your job for you.

It is not that simple.

1 person likes this

Going to post these here since that other discussion topic has since been locked.

• TF2, while not dead, is decaying. The game has been out for a little under 8 years and has been Free to Play 4 of those years. Other games have come out and its relatively hard to keep a players attention for that long, I would know as I've been in TF2 since Dec 28, 2007.
  • Versus Saxton Hale is old, 2010 old. VSH and its many spinoffs (both personal and public) have been out for quite a while and while there has been many redos and remakes, the concept for TF2 is quite overdone, its hard to find a TF2 community who hasn't at least tried to have a VSH/FF2 server. Not to stretch the muscles but again, I would know since I got in the VSH dev game around the time VSH came out, working for OzFur's community. 
  • My Little Pony/Brony fandom is old, oddly enough it shares the age of Versus Saxton Hale with it starting around 2010 and blossoming out a year or two later. Sadly, as all fads do, its fading out. The problem with this one is due to its publicity not being completely positive, its numbers were lower compared to others and with it dying it, means those who are still dedicated aren't in the numbers we had in 2013, making a Pony themed VSH server hard to advertise to.
  • Versus Ponyville, like VSH and the Brony community, is old. Despite the changing of hands on who codes and manages content halfway into its lifetime, the game really hasn't changed that much. Its still just a modified FF2. Not that there hasn't been very interesting new mechanics introduced recently but its still the same formula.
  • Ponyville.net's main selling point is VSP. I know there has been a couple of other servers prior but sadly its always been about VSP. I've been here for slightly more than 3 years and it seems like the only way its been.
  • Ponyville.net always caters more to bronies, to say it doesn't is an outright lie at this point. The problem is with the decline of both fans of VSH AND MLP, its hard to keep the community afloat when its a perfect fit to a lower demographic. 
  • School is in session, love it or hate it. Our community is mostly comprised of college, high, and some middle students and with school being in session, its cuts down their play time by about 70% with the exception of college students. Unfortunately due to this, it causes the server numbers to drop exponentially and only but a handful who either are free or are in a different timezone. This also makes the servers during these slow times less interesting to those not completely invested in VSP, cutting the numbers down even further.
  • Development has been slow, we all know this. But is it exclusively Raini and Simples fault? Not really since, and I know this might come as a surprise to the uninitiated, developers have lives and jobs outside of this community. Making content is a long process for modelers, coders, and server managers to make sure only good content is published on the server. This is time and potential money went into something that we do most of the time for free for the community. But hey, we're humans too and sometimes either are uninterested or simply too busy to help and its a bit selfish for the community to simply demands new content, we have lives outside of Ponyville.net.
  • Administration animosity, also sadly this has always been a thing. Trust me, it has. People either don't like or trust each other and its especially hard when we have egos clashing AND power comes into question. No admin team is perfect, although they should strive to be, and its just simple human nature to either not like or trust anyone.
  • Poor management, they may have their reasons but I agree with that Ponyville.net is not the shining example of a managed community.

Most of this might just be my own opinion but you can't deny at least some of it holds merit, so all I ask is that you just...consider.

Also to not just attack Raini or Simple for the state of Ponyville.net's community and servers, sometimes its just things outside of their control.

Thank you.

4 people like this

Scootz: I'm working on an indie project which I expect to be completed probably around the time Zefram Cochrane tests the warp drive. I'm also gonna start looking for a day job.

Since this topic got revived, just want to make a quick rant (mainly about the old thread) since I'm a bit of a privacy advocate in general.

Folks who stream tend to do so either for a living or for supplemental income.

Like any sort of income, be it mowing 2 lawns a week or working a part or full time job, it falls into the realm of personal finance.

In my day, when it came to matters of personal finance, we wouldn't bring that sort of thing up when trying to make an argument about anything. Reason: It's fucking rude. (and depending on the setting, it can also be contentious)

I get that twitch is internet and internet isn't private (unless you act like me and avoid anything resembling a social network), but I'd like to argue that a case like this should be an exception.

In other words, I feel talking about Raini's streaming is out of bounds. It's her own damn business.

That is all.

3 people like this

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink it" By this I mean, everything is there. We can suggest and complain, but it's on their own shoulders if they choose to do it. I just want you guys to know something I never said, but maybe this will help out in some form. When I got moderator, my life on par hit a wall. I had a extremely ugly divorce in my family, suffered from depression for 5 months, and had to balance AP and honors courses. What did I still do though? I watched over funbox. Even on days I felt like not even seeing the next day, I still kept in touch on forums and the people who played on it. Everything has settled down now, but I ask not for pity, but for a reflection on what and how frequently something is done. If you guys wanna spend a day doing fixes and just one day, go for it. If you don't then no fuss, but understand that if you care enough, others will also. Sorry if I caused a fuss before. Have a good day. c:

Wasn't really trying to cause as much of a problem as I did. I think my post was completely misunderstood, as I probably worded it poorly. Just going to say that I personally disagree with how a lot of things are handled, but obviously it's not my servers, and I have no say in the matter.

My post was NOT meant to call out any of the devs/staff that they were unfit to do their jobs. All I was trying to say is that it seems that some people just don't have time to do as much work as I would personally like to be done. I understand that people have lives, its perfectly reasonable to be busy and have more important things to do, but I just feel we don't get as much as we should.

I was trying to say that, if you really are too busy to work on something, then have others lend a hand, but how I worded it came off as hostile and incredibly rude. I don't agree how things are ran, I would like to not be left in the dark so much, and get updates. I've said this multiple times that I would love to get patch notes, and just general updates about changes, fixes, etc. Even if it's just a simple status update, I would appreciate it so much.

If you do not give us updates, or any information about how you're taking care of the servers, it WILL come off as you aren't doing anything. I'm not necessarily saying that that is in any way true, it's just please think about this. Imagine if Valve pushed TF2 updates, but we never saw any downloads, or got any patch notes? Wouldn't you be irritated if randomly you noticed that weapons were completely changed? or that a whole mechanic was completely different, and you had absolutely no idea? Also imagine if we never got patch notes based on bug fixes, you would think that they didn't care, or even fixed said bugs to begin with, we wouldn't know, and we would assume that they don't do anything.

Apologizes for coming off as rude and hostile, I just wanted to make my points, but did it poorly. I just feel like I make suggestions and try so hard to be polite about things, but I don't even get so much as a simple response about my input from someone who actually matters. I know that Simple reads the weapon thread for example when he's going to change weapons, but I would really, really prefer if he would post in the thread instead, so we would know that he's paying attention, and actually looking at our feedback. I would prefer a discussion about a weapon in the thread over someone saying one thing, then Simple being the deciding factor on how he wants to implement it.

Have to cut this post short as I'm in a hurry to leave, but just going to say that I'm sorry how i worded things, and criticized others. Just please take notice about our suggestions, and give feedback and updates. I was in an awful mood when I posted that, and probably should have just avoided doing so.