Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sarysa

TPP and Gaming (SOPA for 2015-6)

6 posts in this topic

I'm going to admit right now that my legal knowledge is limited and I'm my motivation for posting this is really a "pass it on" sort of thing. I haven't had time to dissect this so I'm not going to even try to claim I'm anywhere near expert level on this topic. With those disclaimers in mind:

TPP seems to be the consumer rights nightmare of 2015, akin to SOPA/PIPA years back. It will have a notable impact on the LP community, a major impact on the modding community (though probably won't affect this community much because Valve keeps good relations with modders) and a huge impact on the emulation/TAS/archival communities.

The part about "cops being able to destroy your computer" is particularly disturbing. If that happened to me, it'd be like they cut off a part of my brain -- for all I have stored within. (and I'd assume my online backups would be taken care of as well, heh...would have to bury offline backups in the yard :P )

While TPP affects North America and the APAC region specifically, it has a sister bill called the TPIP which is the Atlantic equivalent.

Gotta spread the word fast so public outcry kills this the way it killed SOPA.

2 people like this

TPP seems to be the consumer rights nightmare of 2015, akin to SOPA/PIPA years back.

Funny thing about that, TPP was around then too. Few news sources reported on it, but the few that did all agreed that TPP was worse than SOPA/PIPA.

TPP seems to be the consumer rights nightmare of 2015, akin to SOPA/PIPA years back.

Funny thing about that, TPP was around then too. Few news sources reported on it, but the few that did all agreed that TPP was worse than SOPA/PIPA.

Heh, yep. It was being worked on for so long that said process itself likely bred apathy. But apparently it's near completion...who's to say the leaked version is all that accurate to the current version, but these things tend to be a nightmare to individual freedoms and consumer rights regardless.