Aurotzel

Spellbooks

7 posts in this topic

Spellbooks have been broken for over a month now to where you can still get ammo with them. The biggest downside to using them is completely gone, and its basically a straight upgrade on classes such as Sniper and crossbow Medic, where the health nerf means next to nothing.

The stat used on the weapon has been completely thrown away by valve if I'm not wrong, and won't work at all. I'm not entirely sure if it's fixable, so if it's not, what will happen to spells? Obviously, they won't be completely trashed, as people still do enjoy them, some only playing because of them. Though, I'd still prefer them to be temporarily disabled until a fix is implemented.

Soooo uhhh, ideas or something? Or if it's all planned out what's gonna get changed, I'm curious to know what.

1 person likes this

You're right on the 2nd paragraph, Tough Break removed the code of the "ammo becomes health" attribute, rendering it useless.

My idea? (I doubt Simple will even care to change spells, but here we go.) either do what the persian persuader did, reducing max ammo by 80%, or hardcode the spellbook to make the player unable to pick up ammo packs.

Edited by sans.

(I doubt Simple will even care to change spells, but here we go.)

If you spent as much time complaining as you did fixing, you wouldn't have to complain, and then you can actually say you did something.

Can confirm attribute 258 is no longer effective. A player touching the ammo can be detected through OnPlayerTouch, but I have not found an event that allows the callback chain to stop the pickup, and workarounds would be very unsightly. Still testing.

This is a known issue due to Valve changing the way that attribute 258 works. I use "ammo becomes health" and something in a past Valve update broke it. Friagram uses a similar plugin on his servers and when I last discussed this issue with him, he was waiting to see if Valve would add it back.

I checked Allied Modders and the wiki just now and unfortunately I still don't see any update about this attribute.

I will try to get into contact with Friagram again today, but there might not be any new attribute/class that does the same thing. If that is the case then it would involve some clever coding to reintroduce this penalty. This is more difficult to do than it sounds and is not as easy as some imply in this thread.

I do not appreciate the passive-aggressive comments being left in here or other threads about Simple "not caring or not doing anything." Simple has been told on one hand to disable the plugin, and on the other hand to enable it. I chose to leave it enabled because more people message us about it when it is off.

Yes, it has been a month, but it was Valve who broke this attribute and that is a relatively short amount of time in "Valve time" to gauge whether they were going with this. They rarely give us a heads up for these sorts of things either.

2 people like this

In my opinion, spells being stuck like this is a good thing. Players always complain about how OP they are, but they also complain about how OP hales are when they die. Does that mean we should be removing hales? No. If they don't like it then they can either learn to cope or leave. I, for one will not miss them.

Leave spells be, and if Valve sees fit to restore Attribute 258, then they'll be fixed. If in say, 3-4 months from now there is no change regarding Attribute 258, then we may as well consider taking action and/or removing them. That delay also gives our (and other) programmers the time to come up with a solution, and if one is found, put it to use. 

Until, let the spell haters rage and let the spell users prosper. They only have a short time remaining to have their fun. 

In my opinion, spells being stuck like this is a good thing. Players always complain about how OP they are, but they also complain about how OP hales are when they die. Does that mean we should be removing hales? No. If they don't like it then they can either learn to cope or leave. I, for one will not miss them.

Leave spells be, and if Valve sees fit to restore Attribute 258, then they'll be fixed. If in say, 3-4 months from now there is no change regarding Attribute 258, then we may as well consider taking action and/or removing them. That delay also gives our (and other) programmers the time to come up with a solution, and if one is found, put it to use. 

Until, let the spell haters rage and let the spell users prosper. They only have a short time remaining to have their fun. 

I'd rather reduce the amount of rage to a minimum rather than a maximum. There needs to be a fix of some sort, the problem is should we make it give health like it originally did, or block pickups completely?

A solution has been found with the combination of SDKHook_StartTouch and SDKHook_Touch. I tested these last night, but the trick is both of them have to be applied to the ammo crate. I did not see any attributes that obviously would replace 258, so I'm proceeding to complete a small plugin to correct the issue programmicly.

With this plugin, spellbook users will not be able to pickup ammo crates at all, and most likely will be notified while they're standing on it that spellbooks block ammo pickup. This has the benefit of other players being able to use the ammo, while lessening the confusion of 'Why does ammo pickup do nothing?'.

It might be possible to re-create attribute 258 by exchanging the ammo crate to a health pack only if the player has reduced health to receive it. The worst outcome would be that the ammo crate becomes a health pack for one iteration.

2 people like this

If you spent as much time complaining as you did fixing, you wouldn't have to complain, and then you can actually say you did something.

er. i'm was never a real developer? i only gave suggestions to the owners back in 2014, when they actively worked on stuff?