Surprise Pie

Look out! Here comes a new challenger!

13 posts in this topic

Introducing Thorax!

Thorax is a changeling protagonist who was introduced in Episode 16 of Season 6 and featured in the Season 6 Finale. He comes in two forms: Standard and Reformed. The standard form is almost identical to that of a normal changeling, save for a slightly bluer tint and sparkly wings. The Reformed form is the form Thorax takes on in the Finale. Have a look!

ss+(2016-10-26+at+08.20.02).jpg

Proposed Abilities:

Normal Form:

• Weapon: The Black Rose
    • Silent Killer
    • Disguise on backstab

Essentially the same knife as minion changelings, with the added damage buff that is standard with Spy Hales

• Primary abilities:
    • Super Jump (1.5 second charge time, 7 second cooldown)
    • Weighdown

Again, fairly standard hale abilities.

• Rage: Transformation
    • On Rage, creates a medium-sized explosion that knocks players back and damages or destroys buildings
    • Along with the explosion, Thorax transforms, taking on the Reformed Form for 15 seconds.

The explosion's force will not be strong enough to knock people off the map from absolutely anywhere. It should have roughly as much force as a standard Airblast, and is intended as a means to push Engineers away from their buildings as well as to give melee users a little room to breathe when dealing with Reformed Thorax's increased stats.

Reformed Form:

• Weapon: Your Eternal Reward
    • Silent Killer
    • +50% Damage on Buildings
    • +50% Knockback resistance
    • +25% Damage Resistance

Knockback resistance is meant to combat Airblast-happy Pyros and to finish off Engineer Nests that survived the initial explosion.

• Primary Abilities remain the same

There is no need to change Reformed Thorax's basic abilities, Super Jump works just fine for the intended playstyle.

• Rage: Should Thorax build up full rage again before the 15 seconds are up, he will generate another explosion and the 15-second timer will be renewed.

This honestly should be a rare occasion, as inflicting damage equating 100% rage twice in the span of 15 seconds usually means the hale is AFK or really shouldn't be playing Hale.

Music:

What good is a hale if it doesn't come with some neat music?

Theme 1: RuneScape - Zaros Zeitgeist

Theme 2: Conker's Bad Fur Day - Sloprano, Final Movement

Theme 3: Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - Final Battle

And lastly, Thorax has a few voice lines pulled from his dialogue in the show.

And that's it! I'd like to extend a warm thank-you to No Name for his helpful advice and for providing me with the updated changeling base used in the Normal Form, as well as the gradient texture on the Reformed Form.

Feedback is welcome, and suggestions are as well!

Edited by Surprise Pie
2 people like this

5 hours ago, Surprise Pie said:

with the added damage buff that is standard with Spy Hales

This, i'd rather not have anymore. -_-

Rather than that, the Boss idea and rage is OK in my book(except the damage bonus).

Edited by Zeke Aileron™
1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Zeke Aileron™ said:

This, i'd rather not have anymore. -_-

Rather than that, the Boss idea and rage is OK in my book(except the damage bonus).

12 hours ago, [TGP] BensPortal™ said:

How bout nooooo.

Would you rather have it do the same damage as a normal spy? It would be literally impossible to win if that were the case.

I'm looking at a base damage of 195 as a fix to the over-the-top damage other spy hales get however. 195 as opposed to the 250-ish they normally do.

EDIT: After a bit of research, I think I'll go for a base damage of 150. 210 is ridiculous. 

EDIT 2: After further research, I'll go with 180. This is the same base damage as Flutterbat. Chrysalis has 210 and Rarity has 336, both of these are criminally high.

Edited by Surprise Pie
2 people like this

7 hours ago, Surprise Pie said:

EDIT 2: After further research, I'll go with 180. This is the same base damage as Flutterbat. Chrysalis has 210 and Rarity has 336, both of these are criminally high.

Still saying No to all of this, the max i'm going to agree with for a Spy hale to have is one hit killing Scouts with butter knifing which is less than 140, nothing else. Plus all the other Spy Hales needs to have their damage bonuses removed and or nerfed to such.

Seeing a Heavy with 325 hp getting butter knifed in the front for 336+ dmg from a Spy hale for no effort at all is dumb in many ways.

2 hours ago, Zeke Aileron™ said:

Still saying No to all of this, the max i'm going to agree with for a Spy hale to have is one hit killing Scouts with butter knifing which is less than 140, nothing else. Plus all the other Spy Hales needs to have their damage bonuses removed and or nerfed to such.

In my opinion, less then 140 is equally stupid. For a hale, regardless of class, to be unable to kill medics, pyros, or swordless demos in one hit without also having some form of increased attack speed is ludicrous. and don't forget what happens when damage resistance buffs like the buff banner or KGB come into play. It turns into an absolute shitshow because the hale gets eaten alive in the middle of a pile of people who simply can't die. Just look at R-Dash or Thi Billet.

To me, 180 seems perfectly reasonable, it picks off lighter classes while still giving the heavier ones a chance to escape, not to mention the various ways people can increase their current and maximum health counts. I agree that the spy hales who exceed that amount are in serious need of a nerf. 210 (Chrysalis) looks okay but in practice is actually really bad, while 336 (Rarity) and 360 (Discord) are just plain outrageous. Were it not for her ability to stab instantly out of cloak, which may I add is not really fixed, Flutterbat's 180 base damage would be very reasonable.

Edited by Surprise Pie
2 people like this

The reformed Thorax model looks amazing! Nice job on that. As for the damage I would say about 160 ish so he can deal with non overhealed medics, snipers, engineers, scouts and spies (dead ringer exception) but cant kill pyros, demomen, soldiers and heavies in one. As for the rage damage increase there is nothing wrong with this at all so long as the explosion is not too powerful. It is a rage after all! I look forward to seeing Thorax in action! We can only really assess how strong/weak he turns out then.

Edited by Jamieboi 1989
1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Surprise Pie said:

In my opinion, less then 140 is equally stupid. For a hale, regardless of class, to be unable to kill medics, pyros, or swordless demos in one hit without also having some form of increased attack speed is ludicrous. and don't forget what happens when damage resistance buffs like the buff banner or KGB come into play. It turns into an absolute shitshow because the hale gets eaten alive in the middle of a pile of people who simply can't die. Just look at R-Dash or Thi Billet.

To me, 180 seems perfectly reasonable.

I'm okay with it being slighty over 150hp per hit. Anything below 150 with normal swing speed is a bit underpowered. An exception to that is Sea Pony, the hale we all know and love, who does 143 damage per swing and swings at a normal rate. Also, I never have any issues with KGB or Buff Banners but that's just me. I'm okay with the hale doing more than 150hp but not above 199hp, all hales should be doing 199 damage per hit TOPS.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Surprise Pie said:

To me, 180 seems perfectly reasonable, it picks off lighter classes while still giving the heavier ones a chance to escape, not to mention the various ways people can increase their current and maximum health counts. I agree that the spy hales who exceed that amount are in serious need of a nerf. 210 (Chrysalis) looks okay but in practice is actually really bad, while 336 (Rarity) and 360 (Discord) are just plain outrageous. Were it not for her ability to stab instantly out of cloak, which may I add is not really fixed, Flutterbat's 180 base damage would be very reasonable.

Except Discord which is reasonable as he's slow and has long teleport cooldown ^^

In fact, members of Ponyville can be used to to the high spy damage but certain servers nerfed every spy weapons to deal less damage which is about +50% (same as Flutterbat) which is pretty reasonable. As I find it perfectly balanced, removing the damage completely would make them weak.

Edited by ThunderRunner
1 person likes this

This threads been quiet for over a week. Any further news regarding this? I am going to assume its still a work in progress which is totally understandable. It is nice that your going out of your way to bring us more content though Surprise. That is well and truly appreciated by me and im sure others too! Its quite hard to hold back from the hype of it because that reformed model is seriously amazing and a new boss is always a nice addition plus Thorax I grew to like in the series quite fast. :-P

16 hours ago, ThunderRunner said:

we haven't had something like this for a very long time.

It has been hell of a delay, and I honestly doubt that the hale would be released any time soon due to the post of this hale is straight outta November in 2016, but that's just me I guess.

Edited by CaptainMo