Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGandalf

TheGandalf's Generic Developer Discussion

12 posts in this topic

TheGandalf's Proving Grounds of Development

panel-24991333-image-c1ce7d798b0c2f07-320.png.0aac09914fb7b35276830f42601ae3fa.png

My discord server! Join above! I'm setting up as of now the channels and everything. You can talk to me all about development in there.

---

Two Boss Ideas I'm working on

Edited by TheGandalf

Currently testing a discord bot that relays messages from the forum to the guild I'm making. Pretty neat, but I have to post random messages to test it. :(

One more thing I need to test. It's a discord bot that I set up. Not really a bot but an RSS Feed Webhook that allows me to grab this website's public feed and send it to my discord neat and tidy. Lets see if it works! **High five if it does!** *But nobody said it would be perfect.* :( :gun:

hfbmfz2.png

Glorious Money. Simply Fabulous. It's a little bit slow since RSS is meh but it works.

Edited by TheGandalf

One last test. **ONE MORE TIME. IT HAS TO BE DONE FOR FURY AND JUSTICE.** :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

EDIT:

qiDe0bA.png

No Regrets.

Edited by TheGandalf

Anyways, the boss I'm currently working on at the very moment for show and tell is a special one. It's pretty cool, but it's really only for raising my bar with SourcePawn, showing off that I'm a cool kid with the whole development thing, and show you what's possible.

Meet the Trivia Man.

Codename TriviaMan is pretty much just a generic boss. However, he has a 0.40:1.0 Health Loss to Rage percentage ratio. What that means is that ideally, for every 40% health he loses out of his whole bar, he gets to do one rage. When he does it though, he summons everyone to himself in a circle around him and freezes the entire server and disables all sentries. Instantly, he brings forth a random player and starts The Game. The player first choses a difficulty level of how hard the game will be. Once done, he then chooses a category of 3 that are randomly picked on what type of trivia question he wants to play (in a pop up menu, typical source fashion) as really cool WWTBAM music plays, and when he picks a category, the boss's code actually HTTP requests a database of trivia questions. This trivia database is open for anyone to submit questions too. It's at https://opentdb.com/ . Once it gets the random question in said category, it actually asks it to the person the question. Depending on the difficulty he chose and if he gets it wrong or right, things will happen.

• Easy Win - Pretty much nothing happens.
  • Medium Win - You deal moderate damage to the boss.
  • Hard Win - You deal heavy damage to the boss.

Losing will result in instant death. Undodgeable, unavoidable, instant death.

After the trivia game is over, everyone but the boss unfreezes, gets a moderate speed boost, and then the boss unfreezes and everything goes back to normal. Essentially, this is to ensure people get a good chance to run off after the whole event.

Another boss idea was an Undertale series of bosses with unique mechanics.

Undertale characters running around slapping people are cool and all, but mine are way better in concept. They'll have a separate "Health" bar known as the "Affection" Meter. If this grows to 100%, the boss is defeated with different dialogs and effects and what not. It'l slowly go up like a crawl, but it'l never hit 100% this way. They also do not generate too fast of Rage by taking just damage, or as fast as others. However, the lower their HP, the faster they gain rage outside of the state I will say below.

The way they work is that when you unlock certain conditions, which I will list, they will enter a sort of "Affectionate" state where their Affection meter drastically goes up as long as you keep them in that state. However, hurting the boss or doing other things at this stage dramatically increases the Rage he generates. If he maxes out his Rage, his "Affection" meter won't go up as fast anymore, and once he uses it, he goes back to normal after using his rage. Pretty spooky.

This creates a sort of boss design that encourages new way of dealing with these sort of bosses. Maybe your team will want to pummel the Boss and let them go ham on you. Or maybe you'll be the one to unlock their Affectionate status and convince everyone to follow up and take on the boss in a much more... well, affectionate way.

The only condition I got is for Papyrus at the moment. A simple condition is if someone hits Papyrus with enough melee damage, he'll drop his bone and enter the status. His damage is weakened where everyone can survive an extra hit from him, but he's a tad faster. Just a tad. Papyrus obviously wants his bone back, so his option is to chase around whoever has his bone (probably going to be a flag-like item that's droppable manually.) and hit them. If he kills them or hits them enough, he'll make them drop it. If he gets his bone back, he'll revert back to normal but with a bonus to his rage meter.

Tell me what you guys think.

Edited by TheGandalf

Sorry, Discord RSS thing is on the fritz now. :/

Edited by TheGandalf

It's neat to have something like this for the server. Hope this grows into a thing.

Thanks Emerald Streak.

Though, I found something which makes me worry about things until I actually start doing things.

This gamemode was officially updated between 3 years, 8 months, 18 days and 11 months, 17 days old.

I did some tests and figured out that a command was added called "ff2_start_music" in version 1.0.11, which was about a year ago, almost exact. I tried firing this command, and the command "ff2_stop_music" at the same time and this is the result.

fWoIOmG.png

Which confirms my range. Here's the proof of those commands in the code.

ALDJyyx.png

The command is right above it.

wisgQ2y.png

Missing the command.

( Please note that the code structure drastically changed since the old version so it's not exactly placed where it is. )

Considering the last update that was a little around the time 1.10.11 was around, in the !ff menu where the PV devs overwrite the plugin versions and everything with their own versions (tsk tsk), I believe that the version is in the upper range of the numbers of the elderly server plugin that is.

Hopefully updates can get back rolling somehow.

1 person likes this

BOSS RUSH!

Pretty much my latest creation.

https://github.com/GameMaster85/TF2-Boss-Rush/

This is a project I've been working on in the meantime. It's meant to replace VSH/FF as a gamemode in whole, and add a plethora of features for developers and players alike. Planned stuff I want to do is things like...

• Bosses, obviously. Completely coded from a methodmap, very modular and developer friendly. Good to me.
  • Mercenary Perks. Kinda like Warcraft Source where you get to pick a race, you can pick a Perk from a list in each class. Want to be the runner scout from Parkour Fortress 2 and deal more melee damage and incredible knockback when moving at full momentum? Maybe that boxer heavy that does defensive and offensive combos with his fists to avoid damage and dish it right back? Or maybe you like to spell? Classes can have a perk line where they're ability is to cast custom spells.
  • Additional Functions for bosses. Cinematic Mode is planned, where at any point the developer can signal an event where it puts everyone's camera to the boss, freezes everyone for a moment, then turns off when the developer wants it too, for those quick knockout moments. It can also be used in a lot of other ways, but a prominent one would probably be a start-of-the-round zoom in on the boss.
  • Rival Bosses functions are planned. A boss can be evil, or good. Who knows. You're fighting them anyways. But once you're all down, and the boss triumphs, the server picks someone at random (from top 3 damage dealers and other factors) and turns them into the Boss' Rival. If Vergil from Devil May Cry was a boss, His Rival would be Dante. This creates an end of the scene fight that can be both quick, cinematic, and fun to both play and watch.
  • And a lot of other stuff I can't think of at the very moment.

So yeah, cool stuff going on while I get in contact with who I need to contact so I can help out. Lets see what happens!