Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Katfysh

AFK Manager mod timer too short (Dallas)

11 posts in this topic

I overheard some people talking about it on the server, and that simple was going to bring it up to Rainicorn later on, but I might as well drop it here since I got nothing better to do at the moment.

Frankly, what was said is that the AFK Manager mod timer for kicking people after AFK'ing at spawn is waaay too short. It's even short for me, and all I do is maybe tab out and type something to someone. We just need it to be longer. At least a minute or so. Unless someone moves around a bunch to put off the timer, people can't trade, go to the bathroom, or do anything extra.

I understand that someone could disconnect to do their business, but it becomes a nuisance when someone D/C's, does their business, and then can't get back on because the server is full, or someone gets kicked for a reserve after they waited, and so on.

It just needs to be addressed. :)

On another note, I'm going on vacation in a few hours so I won't be able to reply or discuss this, or anything else, at all. :D I see you all in 3 weeks.

The AFK Manager's default setting (which most servers use) is 120.0 seconds, which is 2 minutes.

When people complained about this being too short, I upped it to 320.0 seconds, which is a little over 5 minutes.

If enough people complain or can provide me with valid reasons to up the AFK limit, I will consider their suggestions.

Right now however, I can't really think of anything that would take more than 5 minutes to take care of in Spectate.

Keep in mind that just as it is a nuisance to go AFK and discover that you've lost your spot, it is just as boring for people waiting patiently in queue to have to wait longer while a slot is being used by someone who is AFK. It is also unfair to a team when they have a player AFK for too long because then they are down one person, or several (if trading is going on).

This is a game server and playing the game is just as important as socializing in it. One of the reasons I made the server AllTalk was so that people could chat freely without being burdened to pause and type to each other constantly. I've even imposed special rules and conditions on how people micspam music over VC just so it won't interrupt communication over AllTalk. So, it shouldn't be extremely detrimental to gameplay that you can't type in chat for more than 5 minutes.

If you really dislike losing your slot after going AFK, then the only thing I can suggest is to donate and get a reserved slot. Then you can rejoin the game whenever you want if you are apt to frequently go AFK and be kicked. It helps the servers out too. =)

The only time I've ever had a problem with being kicked for going AFK was a time that I wasn't AFK at all. I don't know exactly what had happened, but from what I remember I died, had a ~20 second wait time, and respawned. As soon as I respawned, I started getting the AFK warning which I thought was strange. I walked to the door, and as soon as it opened I got killed. The AFK warnings kept going, and before I could respawn I had been kicked for AFK.

I still have no idea how exactly it happened. It was far less than five minutes, starting and ending within a minute. Any idea what might have caused this?

Yeah, the afk warning is about 15 seconds at the moment from what I can tell. If you die in your spawn, you're pretty much certain to get kicked.

It was like that today and yesterday , possibly earlier.

Edited by Jackald

It only happened to me once, and I'm not entirely sure as to the day (Thursday or Friday I think, within the last week for sure).

Well it turns out that I was wrong about this. Sorry Katy!

I had Para look into the AFK Manager this afternoon and he noticed players getting kicked in the way that Wudz described. I hadn't told the AFK Manager to ignore dead players, so it was "counting down" while players were dead. We seem to have fixed it now, so you shouldn't be getting idle kicked as frequently.

I'm really sorry about the inconvenience you guys! D= The AFK Manager shouldn't have been kicking you that often.

Should be working alot better now. It doesn't count dead players anymore and the AFK warning that would activate if you don't move in spawn for 20 seconds flag has been disabled.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0