Kuni

Artist Art! Pony Edition!

1288 posts in this topic

I haven't seen an art thread..sooo I figured why the heck now? I'll start one! Let's show off some of our drawings for others to see and give some positive critique! I'll go ahead and go first and show some of my stuff. I'm not good by any means but I do enjoy drawing.

I guess since we're on a pony forum I'll show some of my pony related stuff I've drawn.

Heeere's my personalized pony self~.

http://img.photobuck...pg?t=1308633590

Colored Version of one of the images

http://img.photobuck...ng?t=1308784838

Sketch of what may eventually turn into a comic

http://img.photobuck...pg?t=1314472894

*Case you guys are wondering about the long ears, it's due to the fact he's based off my furry self~. Yes, I'm a bit of a fur fag :p but yeah black tale for pony and brown for normal *

http://img.photobuck...3kunio_kuni.png

Aand a piece of fanart of The Doc and Derpy inspired from a fan fic I read once.

http://img.photobuck...pg?t=1314472894

So what do you guys think and how about it? I can't be the only one that likes to draw now, am I? :D

Hey, thanks for starting an art thread. I love drawing, and ponies have became my latest obsession. Actually, I've been trying to work on my graphic novel lately, but ponies somehow keep ending up on my paper. >.> You can bet I'll be posting here with my own work in due time.

Anyways, I love your work. Your characters have got personality and expression and you draw with a definite sense of style.

All I have to critique really is just your general line-quality; It's sketchy, but then again, they're sketches. I don't really know how long you spend on them so I can't say if my next suggestion is even valid, but here goes. I get the impression your lines lack confidence, as if you draw over them several times. I used to--and probably still do at times--do the same thing. It's a natural artist habit, but a bad habit none the less. The cure is to try drawing as many things as possible in a short period of time. Again, I don't know how fast you draw so I can't recommend a time. But every day, try drawing like 10 pony characters in 5 mins. That's 2 mins per pony. For me, that's pretty challenging, but your mileage may vary. The point is to unlearn obsessing over lines, to build line confidence and to eventually get the line more-or-less right on the first try. I'm an eraser-freak, so I did this exercise with a pen to prevent myself the temptation of erasing. Like I said though, you've already got style and obviously talent, your sketches just lack refinement.

Just so you know, I'm only an art student. I'm not professional by any means so my critiques may not be the best. I reviewed your work as a peer, not a senior. And of course I'm only going by the few pics you posted.

Also, don't ever say "I'm not good at drawing". You will feel that way for the rest of your life. :) Every serious artist is often unhappy with their work. That's what gives us the drive to improve. Fact: Leonardo da Vinci felt his own art was often inadequate. Always recognize the flaws in your own work, but be proud of what you've accomplished and don't diminish your achievements.

(FYI: I guess I could also be called a furry too so you're not alone there. Generally though, I don't like the terms "furry" and "anthro" because of their ambiguity on the internet.)

Edited by Rainbro Dash
1 person likes this

Hey Kuni, want a challenge?

I've been trying to get a good artist to draw a picture of Rainbow Dash riding/petting/feeding/playing with her pet velociraptor. Think you could draw something like that?

Hey Kuni, want a challenge?

I've been trying to get a good artist to draw a picture of Rainbow Dash riding/petting/feeding/playing with her pet velociraptor. Think you could draw something like that?

A Pet velociraptor!? That's so silly I simply CAN'T turn that down. ..I've never drawn a dinosaur before so this ought to be interesting. I'll try having the sketch up by tomorrow.

Some reason I dont see an option to edit my previous post.. So Sorry for the double post again!

Took me forever and I couldn't get all of the Velociraptor drawn.. Pretty hard to draw with a pony on top! Anyway Enjoy Kino!

DashandRaptor.jpg

2 people like this

That pic is made of 2 parts win and 1 part awesome. Having never drawn a dinosaur before, I'd say you're fast learner.

I just noticed the little :heart: by the raptor's head. XD That is so freaking cute/awesome/epic all at once. Good show.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

That looks awesome! You did a really great job with it.

Is there any chance I could beg and plead with you to color it? The sketch is great and I'd love to see a finished product. I bet EqD would even put it into a post, like a drawfriend or something.

That looks awesome! You did a really great job with it.

Is there any chance I could beg and plead with you to color it? The sketch is great and I'd love to see a finished product. I bet EqD would even put it into a post, like a drawfriend or something.

I'd love to finish it but I can't make any guarantees. I really get picky when I start digitaling my work. Something always looks off with the line art and I get really don't like making something that looks Sub-par when I now I can do better.

*Also thanks you guys for the compliments!*

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN - *flops dead* I think I burnt my retinas trying to color this. My Retinas just for you Kino. Enjoy!

DashandtheRaptor.png

Edited by Kuni
1 person likes this

For what it's worth, it looks really cool. Would you mind if I used it as an avatar and spray in TF2?

What seriously? You'd seriously use it as a spray? I'd be absolutely flattered!

It may not be as crisp as the show's actual animation, but it's still really good. Also, it's not every day someone goes out of their way to make some cool art for me, so thanks!

I wish I could do something more pony related. I'm too used to drawing things animeish. When it comes to translating my love for MLP into art I normally just sprite it.

For whatever reason, when I try to upload the spray with the background transparent, a few of the edges keep winding up with lines. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong following the instructions on this page: http://www.gamespray...transparency-1/ , but they keep showing up, so I'm just going to use it as my avatar on tf2 for now, until I figure out what's going wrong.

Edit:

Never mind, got a cool idea. :pixel-dash:

Edited by Kino

@ Kino - If you want I can try and convert into a Targa and see if I can clear some of the fuzzies.- ..What is this cool idea~?

@ Roseluck and Sgt Applejack

Don't be shy , I don't think anyone will bite! Wont know what you can do until you try and practice right? :D

* And because I may not of said it, Art in this thread doesn't have to be Pony. Just gotta be made by you*

That's pretty good, Roseluck! I'd certainly like to see more of what you got!

You know if you are wanting to draw ponies though, here's a useful link that's helped me out a bunch. I found it somewhere online.. I think Ponychan.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/cadientej/130255119873.jpg

AHHH crazy last several days. I was gonna post my art on the weekend but couldn't get around to it.

Anyways, I'll start with just one pic for now. Baby Rainbow Dash!

baby_rainbow_dash_by_ambris-d482ufe.png

Rainbow's messy hair as a kid has got to be the cutest design decision in the history of cartooning.

The lines seem a little fuzzy posting them here--not sure why, something about the sizing. Here is a link to the pic if you care to see it slightly less fuzzy.

@ Kuni, I love the link. I'm always having trouble with proportions when drawing ponies, so I'll make good use of that guide.

Edited by Rainbro Dash
3 people like this

Whoah whoah! That's some really awesome Rainbow Dash, Rainbro! What do you use for your linework, Sai? Or is that inked on paper and scanned awesomely?

@Kino I don't mind at all if you do that. I'd love to see how it turns out in game. =p Which server are you usually on? I'm usually on the Cali. one

AHHH crazy last several days. I was gonna post my art on the weekend but couldn't get around to it.

Anyways, I'll start with just one pic for now. Baby Rainbow Dash!

baby_rainbow_dash_by_ambris-d482ufe.png

Rainbow's messy hair as a kid has got to be the cutest design decision in the history of cartooning.

The lines seem a little fuzzy posting them here--not sure why, something about the sizing. Here is a link to the pic if you care to see it slightly less fuzzy.

@ Kuni, I love the link. I'm always having trouble with proportions when drawing ponies, so I'll make good use of that guide.

Rainbow's stance and expression is so playful and cute. >3< I love this!

Whoah whoah! That's some really awesome Rainbow Dash, Rainbro! What do you use for your linework, Sai? Or is that inked on paper and scanned awesomely?

It's actually a digital sketch done on a tablet with Photoshop. I use a brush in Photoshop that emulates a pencil to some degree, but I spent a lot of time "pretty-ing up" the lines so it looks more refined than my typical sketches. Here is an actual inked version:

baby_rainbow_dash___inked_by_ambris-d48g7od.png

In truth, I think my cross-hatching is a joke, but hey I'm getting better.

At this point I'm trying to decide if I want to color it, and if I should use vectors to emulate the show's look, or if I should just go with rasters and do something different.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

At this point I'm trying to decide if I want to color it, and if I should use vectors to emulate the show's look, or if I should just go with rasters and do something different.

You should leave it black and white. It looks better