Kuni

Artist Art! Pony Edition!

1288 posts in this topic

@ Sgt.Applejack

*Didnt see your post earlier - Not bad sketch of Vinyle Scratch! Might I give a word of critique?

Her rump is pretty angular and pointed upwards. =) You did it in about 5 minutes so try and take another couple to smooth out her sharp rump next time.

I'm gonna throw something out- I've been having a BLAST on the New Joisey Server.. Kept getting errors whenever the server changed to TF2Ware.. Finnaly fixed it up and played my first game there. My reaction? *Probably scan it up tomorrow. Parents be sleeping and the scanner is in their room*

IMAG0081.jpg?t=1315200652

I uh.. wasn't going for the style of regular ponies.

I applied my own way of drawing into sketching Vinyl Scratch. My drawings have a lot of edges, coupled with curves to compliment them.

The pointed flank area was on purpose. :I

Also, a fact about how I draw. I NEVER use a wireframe to plan out my drawings, I just do them. If I don't like it, whether it be half through the drawing, or shaded and finished, I'd just throw it away and start on something new. With no second thoughts.

I uh.. wasn't going for the style of regular ponies.

I applied my own way of drawing into sketching Vinyl Scratch. My drawings have a lot of edges, coupled with curves to compliment them.

Oooh, I see! Sorry, didn't know. : D

Didn't mean to offend or anything good sir.

No it's quite alright. I draw much better when not going by a style that wasn't mine.

If you saw the first drawings I did of ponies.. man.. Was when I tried too hard to go by the original ponies.

Which is why I HATE drawing still life, and or people in a realistic way. I find that it's too bland, there's no creativity in what was drawn.

I think that drawing should implement your own way that you perceive life, or show the world your vast creativity, and not just go by what people see everyday.

@ Sgt. Applejack, I like your philosophy on illustration (I could of done a pony pun there, but I chose not to :pixel-scootaloo: ).

I always say that art is ultimately subjective. It comes from people's own minds, and isn't bound by universal principles. Any kind of creative work is somewhat auto-biographical and says something about the person who made it.

As for my self, I'm a guy who wants to get into illustration as a living so I make a point of trying to learn how to draw in any style--easier said then done. But I still maintain my own personal style. Anyone who has seen a lot of my art will notice that I tend to draw characters with slightly larger hands, feet, and heads. For whatever reason that is just my style.

I wasn't going to upload this as I'm not very happy with it, but it's convenient and illustrates my point I think:

rainbow_dash_by_ambris-d48yask.png

It may not be immediately obvious, but if you compare this pic with any shot of Rainbow in the show, you'll see the head is smaller and the legs/hooves are larger.

By the way, I do draw other characters besides Rainbow Dash, though I'm sure it doesn't seem like it.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

I see what you mean, and like it a lot. The expression on Rainbow is awesome.

Adapting other peoples' styles is good too. The way I draw is a compilation of many many MANY styles. I used my knowledge of the different types and made my own out of it.

Which is what DJs do.. it's the same concept, and I'm a DJ :pixel-applejack:

1 person likes this

Dang, that's catchy. It's going to be playing in my head all day and night now. THANKS FOR THAT.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

@Sgt.Applejack

Thank you very much for the past two days I've had that tune stuck in my head..It's still there even now when I'm trying to drown it out with music. ; w;

@Rainbro

Dude , you don't cease to amaze. I don't see what's not to like about that image you posted of Rainbow Dash. It totally captures the art feel of the show perfectly *Asides from what you mentioned with really big hooves but regardless!* Color me Jelly, I wish I could do such clean linework digitally!

@TSKofA

Thank you thank you! =D

Edited by Kuni

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the compliments, as drawing is my life.

Just to prove I don't always draw Rainbow, I drew a picture of Applejack. . .and uh--Rainbow Dash too I guess. (dang, I'm not making a very convincing argument.)

rainbow_dash_and_applejack_by_ambris-d49ccx2.png

This was actually done on physical pencil `n paper between classes, because I had 30 minutes to kill. It came really well for the short time I put into it.

Originally, Applejack was sort of flailing/jumping for her hat, but that made Rainbow seem like too much of a jerk, and made Applejack seem too helpless, so I changed her to mild annoyance. Assuming I ever make a more polished version of it, I'll probably set Rainbow and her cloud higher up.

Edited by Rainbro Dash
1 person likes this

The more I see art from you Rainbro, the more I get the idea you should totally do some art for the banner on the site. That would be SO awesome. By the way do you post your art publicly online anywhere? ..Well asides from the occasional pop in here.=p

@ Kuni,

I would absolutely love to do that!

But uh, how would I go about that? And if people want me to work on that, I'd like to take requests on what to draw, since it is everypony's site.

Also, I've got a Deviant Art account; I go by artist pen-name, Ambris. My gallery is pretty spare at the moment, as I just cleared out all my really old art, in preparation for uploading stuff for my graphic novel. But feel free to check it out, as I'll be uploading to it regularly. Also, if you've got a Deviant Art account, I'd love to put it on my watch list.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

@ Rainbro

I dunno.. I guess you'd have to pitch it to Raini and the other mods and see how they would feel about it. Haha, I've actually been mulling on it for awhile.. I'd love to do it myself but Can't really do the color or ink jobs. Maybe a future collab is in order? Oh lordie now I'm getting all excited at the thoughts~ :flip: But anyway yeah, It'd be so cool to do banner art for the site I'd wanna do it too.

This thread hasn't seen any action in awhile so I'm going to go ahead and post some more pony pics. Lord knows I've got enough to share.

First off, have a baby Twilight!

baby_twilight_by_ambris-d4a3tou.jpg

Twilight, looking up in amazement at. . .I dunno--something? I don't have answers for these things! Use your imagination!

Never since the time I started drawing did I ever think I would one day be drawing baby ponies. Life is weird like that huh? Seriously, this show has awakened my long neglected perception of cute. I guess that's a good thing?

And now for something different--oh who am I kidding. . . another Rainbow Dash!

rainbow_dash_avatar_by_ambris-d4a3ujp.jpg

Okay, I swear this is the last pic of Rainbow Dash (aka "best pony") for a while. I've just been wanting my own drawn avatar of Rainbow for these forums, and I've had a lot of false starts. But I like this one!

I'll color it eventually.

I dunno.. I guess you'd have to pitch it to Raini and the other mods and see how they would feel about it. Haha, I've actually been mulling on it for awhile.. I'd love to do it myself but Can't really do the color or ink jobs. Maybe a future collab is in order? Oh lordie now I'm getting all excited at the thoughts~ :flip: But anyway yeah, It'd be so cool to do banner art for the site I'd wanna do it too.

I'm still interested in some kind of collab work, by the way!

Edited by Rainbro Dash
1 person likes this

Right now im working on the best cross picture ever. All I have done is the ponies and its just pinkie pie, rainbow and twilight.

I dont want to make it too drab so im thinking of ideas to put in it. What im working on is Pinkie and twilight inside of the air balloon with twilight pointing off at something while rainbow is sleeping on the top of it. Any ideas?

@Derpy

Thats pretty cool man. I can't ever think of monsters very well, myself! It's been a couple days since you posted up in here. Have you made any progress? :3

@ Sarge

Because Mantreads are the best to go, every time! That's pretty awesome. :D Very nice black box and flame effect on it!

@ Roseluck

Oh oh! Rainbow can totally be snoozing on a passing jetliner! :D

So I've been playing borderlands with some pretty cool peeps~ Pinkie Spy, Sgt. Pon-3 and Rainbro.. Quickly found out the best way to get things done is to shout Over and over and over again !

QUEST-1.jpg?t=1317170734

@ Kuni

Oh man, I'm going to start hearing "QUEST QUEST QUEST" in my sleep now. THANKS FOR THAT. GEEZ.

Otherwise, that picture is priceless. Wait, is Pinkie's character saying "QUEST" with an upside down exclamation mark?

@ Sgt. P0N-3

Damn, that's badass. I love the shading. It give the whole thing a high-impact look. What kind of pencil(s) did you use?

@ Roseluck

Not sure what you have in mind, but I can't think of anything suggestions. Really it sounds like a pretty solid composition already. I'd like to that.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

@ Rainbro

YOUR VERY WELCOME~

It was just random lines that I forgot to erase..But Pinkie's totally Spanish now.

Rainbow Dash also draw in 5 seconds. . . okay maybe 10.

5_sec_rainbow_dash_by_ambris-d4c5kd4.png

I have named this ungodly creation, "Rainber Dersh"

Edited by Rainbro Dash

This is bizarre guys. Did 30 second drawing this time, but it come out half way decent. I've spend 2 minutes on subsequent drawings and can't do anything nearly as good.

5_sec_rainbow_dash___2_by_ambris-d4c5li3.png

Also, buck-teeth.

1 person likes this