Kuni

Artist Art! Pony Edition!

1288 posts in this topic

Ive been trying to draw some ponies myself! Although Ive been having some issues with getting my drawing into the internet while still retaining their quality. Maybe somepony could help me out on this? XD My biggest issue is that I have been a colored pencil fanboy all my life, and I just cant seem to draw very well with much else. Sadly, whenever I try and scan these drawings in the lines are way to sharp and kinda look like they are drawn in with Crayons (Its kinda hard to explain, I have uploaded a new drawing of mine in my gallery if your interested in seeing it). Do you guys have any suggestions? I really want to be able to make artwork that looks very clean cut and professionally made and Im willing to listen to any suggestions you may have :D

@ Johnny Hoof,

If your talking about Company of Ponies, all I can say is that I really like it. :)

I mean, it looks like it was drawn with colored pencils, but that is hardly a fault. You even managed some gradation of color with them, which just blows my mind. Maybe I would feel different if I could see the original physical drawing, but I honestly can't see anything wrong with the picture you uploaded. Keep up the good work is my only suggestion!

Also I just noticed the cutie-mark of the pony in front; Brilliant. I wonder if it changes as he goes up in rank? :D

Anyways, I haven't spent any time (5-sec drawings not withstanding) on pony pics in long while so here's a sketch I just did. Has it occurred to anyone that Scootaloo's name makes for a better TF2-crossover than Rainbow Dash. :unsure:

Everypony! Meet Scoutaloo!

scoutaloo_sketch_by_ambris-d4ccdg0.png

Gonna color this soon. Shouldn't be to hard; Pony art is just so simple and neat! Well compared to the overwhelming detail I put in my non-pony art. BTW, I know the bat is wonky, but it's just a sketch. It'll be fixed in the final work.

Also. . .

!scootaloo

Edited by Rainbro Dash
1 person likes this

@Iron Pony

Thanks for saying so! Im going to be uploading more art onto this thread soon, I'm looking forward to you ponies telling you what you think of my art :)

I just finished up one of new drawings! I think it turned out alright (minus my crummy scanner and my strange love of colored pencils XD)

gallery_434_32_20669.jpg

I wanted to see if I could get that cool x-ray / bone breaking view like from Mortal Kombat 9, and I think I did alright!

(PS, If you didnt know Johnny Hoof is the bronified version of Johnny Cage from MK9 :D)

I think Im going to start drawing with pen so then maybe then I could scan in my pictures and actually color them via computer!

Its me again! <:) Another drawing done, and I think its pretty good! This was my first attempt drawing with pen this time, and I dont think Im going back to colored pencils ever again XD! The pen shows up much cleaner and scanned 2000% better than pencil! But enough about my drawing utensil XD here it is...

gallery_434_32_95119.jpg

I even managed to color it using Illustrator! (Which took longer than the actual drawing itself XP)

Im actually planning on doing some Photoshop work and turning it into a fake horror movie poster thing starring Mr. Hoof and Pinkamena! :)

I uploaded the base drawing to my gallery if you want to see it uncolored, which I actually think looks just as cool XD

Getting pretty lonely on this thread <:) Hoping to hear what you bronies have to say about my work, and hopefully see some of yours!

Had a crazy couple of weeks. Sorry I haven't posted here. I hope to have a thriving art community here, so keep up with the art and critiques, fellow art-bronies!

@ Johnny Hoof

As always, I like your pencil coloring. And look forward to seeing what you will do with Photoshop.

@ Kuni

So THAT'S where you learned to draw badass poses. *downloads a bunch of Street Fighter references* Seriously though, I love the action in that pose (wonky foot or not) and it occurs to me that the best place for dynamic action references would, in fact, be fighting games. Thanks for the idea.

Haven't drawn anything in a while. Been busy with classes and such.

Well.. there are a few sketches, but they're just sketches. Nothing amazing.

Post them anyway!

*ahem*

So, I've been working on a project in preparation for the Luna episode this Saturday. Tell me what you guys think!

luna___i__m_sorry_by_ambris-d4ddp1o.png

I'm a sucker for the tortured soul character-type, and I've always seen Luna as haunted by her time as Nightmare Moon. The advent of Episode 4 may establish her character as otherwise, but for now this is how I see Luna.

I'm going to submit it to EqD, but I almost feel like it's missing a certain something. You guys can really help me out by telling me how well it works.

Is the text readable?

Is the whole thing visually confusing or not?

I wanted to make it emotionally moving, but I worry that it comes across as too sappy and/or melodramatic. I'm a better artist than a writer, but what do you guys think of it?

All in all, I am pretty happy with it. I'm largely experienced in coloring and I can say without a doubt that this is my most successful colored art yet. But I want it to be PERFECT. Anything less is an insult to Luna!

Edited by Rainbro Dash

@Rainbro Dash

That's an amazing piece right there man! I love the writing, really adds depth and some mood to the drawing! (As if it wasn't already dripping with depth XD)

I really need to get a tablet or something, I find myself crippled by my complete lack of skill when it comes to digital artwork. The work you do is astounding! I don't think I could ever come CLOSE to drawing something as good as that with pencils.

Keep on drawing bronies, I'm loving it ^u^

There is a distinct lack of Fluttershy in my DA gallery. Time to fix that!

fluttershy___cute_by_ambris-d4eawvz.png

I'm toying with the idea of her ears being straight up or down. Down makes her look more innocent, while up looks more surprised. Both work, but. . .I'll just go with this for now.

And something still seems off, but eh. . .I'll let you guys be the judge.

Such pretty Luna art. I really like seeing people draw her like that. Have you thought about trying it with her new mane style, though?

That was actually my plan. But then Fluttershy happened. I'll still draw the new and approved Luna in the near future. But thanks for the compliment!

EDIT: I forgot to make some responses!

I have no art training at all. My only progression was through school where I drew the most. Every year I'd get better and better.. and oddly enough weirder and weirder.

I LOVE drawing weird and very unexplainable pictures. I practically dumb my mind onto a page and scan it.... I've just thought of a really funny (comic) type picture I'm going to do.. It will have to do with cotton candy. OH MAN I HAVE TO DRAW THIS.

Interesting. The reason I ask is I'm trying to evaluate how usefulness of actual art training. My current opinion? Unless you've got a good art-teacher who can give you a lot of personal attention, then art classes are bull-shit, and self-taught is the way to go.

And whatever your idea is, GO FOR IT. I look forward to it.

As Rainbro previously stated, it does look like Kingdom Hearts. MY GOD were they awesome games? I completely owned with the Ultima Blade on both games.

Yes. Yes they were. KH2 is the only RPG I've played through 100% twice, and that's a lot from me. Can't freakin` wait until KH3.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

@Rainbro Dash

That Fluttershy is amazing!! I'm in love with your work man, you seem to capture the ponies so well!

I personally don't see anything wrong or off about it, but maybe someone with more artist skill than I could help you out. XD

I haven't been able to draw near as much this week as I usually do, but I did manage to doodle some in between classes... Or during classes, but that's not important. :D

004_by_cheezeman4-d4ecqw6.jpg

A little something I drew in Spanish class. The big guy on the left is my friend Dillon (Who we all lovingly call "Deelon") who was really fun to draw as a pony. XD

002_by_cheezeman4-d4ecqwq.jpg

This started out just as a test to see if I could draw an armored pony, but ended up turning into a conversation with a friend in English class. The drawing actually looked pretty good until I got the bright idea of trying to outline it with a crappy 10 cent pen from CVS. XD

So I'm going to try and actually get some real art in here soon, now that the week is over.

@Sarge.. That Mini comic is flipping awesome, dude. :D

@Johnny Cant wait to see more real art! And Awesome Face = Totally best cutie mark.

Drew something up while over at my buds here.. *Whenever I'm over, I'm always whored for Art*

EccentricIgnatias.jpg?t=1318808983

*Sorry if the file size is a taaad huge. Cursed Phone*

Made them something to throw on their door. Drew up their fursonas!

IMAG0139.jpg

@Sgt.Pon-3

I loved the comic man! It made me rofl XD!

Im really digging all this art you guys! It looks great! I just finished some of my latest work, hope you guys like it!

gallery_434_32_296991.jpg

Im really proud of this one! I call 'em Sir Prancelot, named after the one and only Sir Launcelot!

This drawing has its flaws of course, if you look closely you can see some parts where I got "stupidfingers" and goofed up a bit on the inking job. XP

gallery_434_32_380713.jpg

This one I drew fairly quickly (about 15-20 minutes) at a friends house. Its definitely not my best work, but I thought it was kinda cute and "awwww", so I put it up. :D

I do have and artsy question for you art beasts out there. Do you think coloring in these inked drawings with colored pencil would look weird? All I'm really good at coloring with is colored pencils (Mostly because I don't know how to color digitally) but Ive lately switched over to outlining with ink because its cleaner and scans much better. So do you think I should go ahead and color away or leave it B&W? :D Thanks for the input

@Cinnamon

No need to put the word "art" in quotations when applied to your stuff; There is no doubt that your work is art! I might have you make me one of those sometime. :D

Thanks! I tend to think humbly about my stuff, as I grew up with a very talented seamstress and , well, I guess artist for a mom, but we lived out in the country where everything is considered 'crafts' moreso than 'art' and not held in so high a regard. And, yeah, I'm open to commissions, so we'll have to talk.

*looks at Rainbro's Fluttershy* *Looks at watch*

It'll be on equestria daily in 5..4..3..2..1.. No seriously, now that your constantly being showcased, your going to be a complete regular now!

With that being said, I need to go get some insulin. My diabetus is working up because of that picture..

*looks at Rainbro's Fluttershy* *Looks at watch*

It'll be on equestria daily in 5..4..3..2..1.. No seriously, now that your constantly being showcased, your going to be a complete regular now!

With that being said, I need to go get some insulin. My diabetus is working up because of that picture..

xD well my Diabetes is causing me havoc, not sure this helped lol

MORE PONIES

rarity___mane_down_by_ambris-d4frl54.png

Rarity! With her mane down! Oh the scandal!

I wanted to draw this after the end of S2 E5; She really looks good with her mane down. Actually, I drew her hair down as a bit of a cop-out since drawing her styled-hair is MADNESS. I probably need to practice it more. Enjoy!

@Rainbro Dash

Looks fantastic as usual bud! I really like her facial expression, very Rarity. XD

I've been really jonesing to put up some of my latest sketches, but my scanner when't to electronics heaven about 4 days back. :/

Hopefully the new scanner will be in by tommarow, so I can get back to posting!

Thanks guys!

Have a double dose of Rarity, thanks to a brief conversation I had with someone on another thread:

rarity_with_her_mane_tied_back_by_ambris-d4fuz79.png

Just a sketch this time. Something a little more casual for Rarity, but still stylish.

@Zelcface

What did you use to make that? It has an interesting style.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

Nice interpretation, Rainbro. I like the subdued hair. it feels to me like Rarity on a Tuesday, just working in her shop, no need to get fancy or all done up.