Rainbro Dash

Forum Questions and Suggestions

471 posts in this topic

I'm wonder if this would be possible on this forum, as I've seen it done on others.

Could we have special pony-themed smilies? Like, I mean ones that automatically replace ":)" with an image when you post. I've seen it done before, but I'm not sure how tricky it would be. I'd like to be able to type ":(" in my posts and comments and have it replaced by a sad Fluttershy face. Of course, a bunch of smiley images would have to be custom made for every ":D" ":(" "0.o" we could think of, so that would require some effort.

I like doing that kind of thing, so if people like this idea, I might create a few just for fun. I guess if coding the automatic thing is undoable for whatever reason, just adding more to the smilies list would be pretty cool too.

:pixel-twilight::pixel-pinkie::pixel-applejack::pixel-fluttershy::pixel-dash-fly::pixel-rarity::pixel-applebloom::pixel-scootaloo::pixel-sweetie::pixel-celestia::pixel-nightmare:

I guess they're not smile specific, but we've got some ponies to spam into our text.

I did just notice, however, that we have Nightmare Moon but no Luna. Rainbro, if you can sprite some I think Raini would be appreciative.

If you guys could find some professional looking sprites, I will add them. The problem is that the ones I have found that I liked were made specifically for other pony boards. XD Reddit has some nice once too, but I think I would need permission to use them probably. I dunno much about Reddit. The smilies there have protection to prevent you from saving them though.

I'm wonder if this would be possible on this forum, as I've seen it done on others.

Could we have special pony-themed smilies? Like, I mean ones that automatically replace ":)" with an image when you post. I've seen it done before, but I'm not sure how tricky it would be. I'd like to be able to type ":(" in my posts and comments and have it replaced by a sad Fluttershy face. Of course, a bunch of smiley images would have to be custom made for every ":D" ":(" "0.o" we could think of, so that would require some effort.

I like doing that kind of thing, so if people like this idea, I might create a few just for fun. I guess if coding the automatic thing is undoable for whatever reason, just adding more to the smilies list would be pretty cool too.

It's not hard, but it is a bit time consuming. I remember creating a custom smiley set a while back on my forum before upgrading to SMF 2.0. I haven't done it recently. But, again, it's not hard, just takes a bit of time. The more smilies you have, the longer it takes to get them set up.

Edited by Kruger

Hmm, okay. Well, if school permits, I'd like to make some custom pony smilies then, and if people like them, perhaps they simply be added to list.

Have a question about the forum, or how to use a specific feature? Ask it here and we'll provide you with a detailed explanation or walkthrough.

Have a suggestion that you think could help to improve or promote the forum? Post it here as well!

Whether it is an app, hook, mod, or emoticon, we'll put it under consideration if you post it.

Critiques and suggestions about forum categories, rules, and policies can also be shared here.

How about a nice little country flag mod for the postbit so we can see who's from what area at a general glance as we seems to be from all over the land!

Could we get the new Ponystory rp to be Its own Forum page? It would save on cluttering up the Pony chat Forum page, and allow for better organization. With a page solely for the rp, There could be separate threads for multiple rp's. I feel it best to have more rp options and different groups based on Ponies' availibility to play and common interests.

Not that I want to divide anyponies up, I just would like to see things run smoother and more conveniently for all players.

I feel Ponystory will be getting many posts and visitors, and I believe it should warrant its own envelope with a heart-shaped seal thingy.

I don't think it should have its own subsection; at least, not until we've established its permanence. So far, we still need to get into the flow of the group before we do anything drastic.

Just my two cents.

I'd actually be in favor of this, and earlier rather than later. Right now the single RP has a ton of people in it, and I feel like it's choking already. The topic could use a split into two or three stories. We have enough players, and usually forum RPs tend to work best with 4-6 players in a topic. Fewer can work, but more tend to become cumbersome. 14 has a cancerous effect on the story, as you end up with too many main characters for the plot to handle.

Of course, the choking could just be from people not taking their time when writing out posts, also. I find myself constantly cringing every time I try to read the topic. I want to make a role play etiquette topic because I get the feeling the posts in the beta discussion were ignored, but I don't know how helpful that would be without the ability to get stickied within its own subsection.

Besides, the worst that happens is that the RP section doesn't take off and gets deleted at some later date. Adding the subforum has high potential upside and almost no possible negative consequence. Most forums where people venture into the realm of narrative RPing use a subforum for it.

I'm kind of in favor of making a new RP section now as well. I'm concerned that the "permanence" of the RP is going to be dependent on it. There is a great deal of confusion going on at the moment, and while we had a flood of posts on the first day, the second day saw a dramatic decrease of posts.

Personally I'm finding myself a little confused at the exact locations and action of some of the characters. And ponies are spontaneously switching groups with more active members, so they can get more rp`ing, which is understandable. but I think it's adding to the chaos which is discouraging people to post. We need to limit the amount of characters in one story.

So here is my suggestion: We need a whole forum dedicated to the RP. There we can have even multiple stories going on at one time. I would argue that anyone can volunteer to be a story leader for a group--expecting just one person to manage every story isn't fair, and we probably don't want to many stories either. If we split all the current RP`ers we can make three groups I say.

I agree with Kino and Rainbro. There is alot of confusion going on from what I've seen, which is well..Accurately summed up with above posts.

I wanna try and RP but just kinda getting mixed up on who to follow, what to do. THat kinda stuff.

Hmm, I suggest in this pony subforum, that it should have a stickied main story thread. Everypony makes a few posts there like the one we have right now.

But, once side stories develop, which happens really quickly, it is either the responsibility of the ones involved in the said side story, or anypony, or a selected few moderators or something, to create a thread for that side story.

The main problem is that it will be very hard for stories to intertwine or might end up with different endings as if they are in different realities.

Edited by Dellobow

For clarification,

When I say multiple stories, I don't mean "the same story with different characters". I mean different stories that could be simultaneous, but ultimately separate.

For example, a group of ponies could volunteer to help Plum in an excursion into the Everfree forest for materials. Another group could go on some crazy hunt for tickets to a Wonderbolts show. And yet a third group could be travel to some other town with the intention of picking some lacking resource, like sugar, in Ponyville--or I dunno, you could replace sugar with medicine if you want a more serious tone.

But see? Three potentially simultaneous but separate storylines, that all our RP`ers could be participate in.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

Hrm.. I agree with multiple stories. Seeing as the last few posts made it clear on what that would do.

But can the stories not intertwine with others as well? Possibly be dependent on each other? But still be separate.

And possibly meet up later in the rp, as a big plot developing event?

I personally would like something like that.

It could be possible. It just needs clear communication from both groups so that there are no plot holes and such.

I believe we should have a section for RP. Where we can make threads based on certain stories. This is how i have always done Forum RP.

Meeting up later in the RP is intertwining... But I see your point. It will be hard for all the stories to connect back to the original story at the end but it definitely should happen eventually. Hopefully we could all have one big ending together.

Edited by Dellobow

Well, intertwine just means that they are related in some way. Not specifically meeting up later in the story.

And it would be rather difficult for everything to come together, but it's doable.

I'd say get the "main" story done with everypony involved, then move onto split RP.

Back from work.

I think we should finish the main story then work on getting another one. Just for now lets be happy we at least have one.

I agree with roority. Let's get this first "episode" done and then we can split it up. I'm totally in favor of splitting it into its own subsecton, but doing it while we're in the middle of something is just going to cause more confusion than we already have. I mean, if your trying to re-do a kitchen floor, moving is just going to make it get screwed up or possibly not even finished.